I am always so impressed by the wonderful crochet information and items shared around the web each week. Here were this week’s favorites:
A Creative Being is hosting a CAL for the beautiful overlay crochet mandala. The crochet pattern, which is sold on Etsy by CAROCreated, was definitely one of my favorites when I did my recent mandala crochet pattern roundup.
Smart Crochet Words
- 3 Tips for Perfect Crochet Photography. @CrochetMe shares some helpful tips for photographing your crochet products for your blog or online store.
- Use Everyday Items for Crafting in a Pinch. @LionBrandYarn tells us how to use dollar bills, paperclips and more when crafting without all of your supplies at hand. This blog also talked this week about ways yarncrafting can help with back to school – interestingly the post mentions several of the benefits of crochet that I discuss in my own new book!
- The Best Tip for Being Creative. Fox’s Lane says, “my hot tip for staying creative is to create”. I agree! I know I get over writer’s block by sitting down and forcing myself to write. It’s the same with crafting. Do you agree?
Beautiful Crocheted Creations
Chez Facile Cecile has a beautiful new twist on crochet-covered stones
Crochet How Tos
- How to Make Bobbles, Clusters and Popcorns. A good refresher on textured stitches from @CrochetToday. It’s based on article that GoCrochet wrote for them awhile back.
- How to Crochet Twirls Width-Wise. @CrochetSpot tutorial.
- How to Change Colors Seamlessly. A helpful tutorial, with video, from @newstitchaday.
- How to Crochet a Super Slip Stitch Cord. Stitch Story shares this unique tutorial.
- Rounds vs. Spirals. A video instructional on the Moogly blog showing the difference between these two crochet circles.
New Crochet Patterns
- Beanie with Crossed Texture Detail Row: Newborn. This is a free crochet pattern from Alli Crafts.
- I Love Yarn Heart. This new Red Heart crochet pattern was designed by crochet artist Olek.
- Puppy Dog Lovey Blanket Pattern. This is a corchet + fleece blanket pattern, available free on Repeat Crafter Me.
Best Crochet Videos of the Week
Olek’s crochet camo characters in a Polish rap video via @Knithacker
- Why is it Called Malabrigo? The yarn company tells us where the name came from.
- Yarn Review: Naturally Caron Country. A review by @gleefulthings.
- SIBOL blanket deliveries. Sue over at SIBOL collecets knit and crochet squares to make beautiful blankets for the elderly. In this post she talks more about that and I really enjoyed learning why she does what she does. There was another good post about donating to charities this week from Crochet Cabana who reminds us that there are scammers out there and provides some helpful tips for making sure that the places you donate your handmade items to are legit.
- Crochet is More Popular Than Paper Crafts. At least that was the case in the face-off done over as part of the Fave Crafts Crafty-lympics.
- Congrats to Crochet with Cris. She won first place at her state fair for her crochet afghan.
- Crochet haiku. Love this little poem from Toni Rexroat of @CrochetMe. There’s actually a haiku contest happening at Interweave. Click through to the post to find out how to enter to win some yarn. Here’s another haiku from Aberrant Crochet.
And Some Special Thanks
- To Jordana Paige for featuring my guest post about How to Pack Yarn and Projects for Air Travel
- To Anastacia Knits, CraftGossip and Bridge and Beyond for spreading the word about my new book. It was also shared by CrochetKitten who did a terrific post about her own experience healing through crochet.
- The book was also mentioned by MMM … Meditation, Mental Health, Mindful Crochet, UK Hand Knitting Association, A Spoonful of Sugar. Thanks all!
- To Debi of Hooks and Yarns for sharing a blog award with me over on her newest blog Dly’s Crafts and Stuff