The world has lost a beautiful spirit. Marinke Slump, known to many as Wink, from the blog A Creative Being has succumbed to the struggle with depression and suicide. The online craft community has been devastated. My initial reaction was a painful mix of sadness, shock and fear. In the face of such devastating news I wanted to do all that I could to bring our community together and thus was born the #MandalasForMarinke project.
This is a collaborative crochet art project designed to honor Wink’s life and work and celebrate her amazing creativity in a way that allows her art to keep inspiring others even though she is now gone. It is intended as a way to help the many affected crafters channel their own grief and complex feelings upon hearing the news. And it will raise awareness about depression. Get the full details on the project and how to participate here.
FAQ About #MandalasForMarinke
Who was Wink? What happened?
Marinke was a crochet designer that I met online several years ago when she shared her story for my book Crochet Saved My Life. She was very open on her blog about her struggles with depression. Sadly, she couldn’t win that battle. You can read the post about this from her sister on A Creative Being.
How can I participate in #MandalasForMarinke?
This is a collaborative crochet art project that is accepting crochet mandalas in Wink’s honor. You are invited to send your mandala along with a handwritten (or typewritten) note for the project. All information about what to send and where to send it is here.
What’s the deadline?
NEW DEADLINE: Postmark your mini mandala contributions by 4/30/16. This new portion of the project has been opened up to allow people an opportunity to create mandalas for one another. Details and free mini mandala pattern here.
NOTE: DEADLINE EXTENDED. Postmark all contributions by 10/15/15. Contributions to #MandalasForMarinke should be postmarked by August 31, 2015. It doesn’t matter where in the world you live; if you get them into the mail by deadline they will be part of the project. If it’s absolutely impossible for you to meet that deadline, contact me (email at bottom of this post) and let’s discuss.
Do I need to block/ stiffen/ frame my mandala?
The crochet mandalas are going to be added to the crochet project in the way that you send them. I will not be doing additional blocking or stiffening on my hand. However, you are welcome to send them as is, fresh off the hook, if you’re happy with the way that they look. I want to make it really easy for everyone to contribute in the way that is right for them. If you want to block, stiffen and/or frame your piece(s), please do so. If you don’t, that’s okay too.
You asked for contributions to be made using Wink’s patterns. Is that a requirement? I want to crochet a different mandala.
No. You are welcome to send any crochet contributions that are made in Wink’s honor. The reason I specifically wanted people to try to work from Wink’s patterns is because they are so inspiring and the mandalas are really what she was known for most in the world of crochet. I want to see her own work continue to inspire people and live on. That said, if you have any crochet mandala at all, something that you made in the past or from your own design or whatever, it is totally welcome to be included in the project. If you used someone else’s pattern, please include that info in your note to me so that the designer can get recognition. Crochet mandala patterns here
What size should the mandalas be?
Any size! Tiny, huge, in between. Everything is welcome. In addition to the mandalas that will hang in the art show, I’m seeking small ones that can be handed out to people and huge cozy ones that can be used as rugs in a crafting space at the event. See update here for more info.
Wink really brought the crochet mandala pattern into the limelight and it took off throughout the craft world. She used other people’s patterns in creative ways on her blog, creating stunning posts showcasing color inspiration. She created her own original crochet mandala patterns that so many people have used. Plus the mandala is a meditative item to crochet and can be healing for yourself as you work it.
How will this project raise awareness about depression?
- Each contribution will be posted online here on Crochet Concupiscence with the story / info the maker has shared and at least one fact about depression. These will be shared widely throughout social media.
- The contributions will be collected into an art show in late 2015/early 2016. There will be a depression awareness pamphlet handed out at this art show.
- The work will be gathered into a crochet art book and a portion of the proceeds from the sales of that book will go towards an organization to raise awareness about the issue.
- After the project is complete, the mandalas will be sent along to send a smile to the faces of those who have been impacted by depression / suicide.
How can I follow the posts when they start arriving on Crochet Concupiscence?
Want to see all of the contributions? They’ll be here on the blog tagged with MandalasForMarinke. You can subscribe to get this blog’s daily email updates here. Finally, I’ll also be keeping an updated set of links for the contributions at the bottom of this page.
Where will that art show be held?
The art show will be held in San Francisco. The exact location is to be determined.
Update: I have applied for artist-in-residency positions locally. The results of those applications will help to shape when and where the art show is going to take place.
Where will the money from the book sales go? Why is only a “portion” going to the organization?
The specific organization is yet to be determined. It is important to me to do careful research to make sure that the right place is selected. It will be an established organization that supports suicide prevention and depression awareness. I will provide an update when an organization has been selected.
A portion of the sales from that book will go to the organization. The rest of the money goes to putting the project together, including all of the work that will go into the art show and the publication of the book, spreading the word about the project and Wink’s work, etc. The exact amount of donation will be determined based on all of these factors and I will be transparent about that when it has been decided.
Where will the mandalas go when the project is done?
This is also yet to be determined. There have been several great suggestions:
- Returning all mandalas to project contributors but in a random order so that each person affected has a reminder of the strength of this community, their participation in the project and Wink’s legacy.
- Donating the mandalas to a psychiatric unit or other similar location so that residents can benefit from the beauty of them as art pieces.
- Joining the mandalas into blankets or sending them as is to brighten the lives of someone who has been impacted by suicide.
All ideas are being considered. The project is still too new to make a decision. I want everything to happen in the right time and way. I will announce an update when a decision has been made.
Can I share this page?
Yes, please do! The more people we can reach to support each other during this time and celebrate Wink’s work, the better. Make sure to link back here so people know how to participate. Feel free to use either of the photos above in your posts if you want to.
Is the #MandalasForWink project the same as #MandalasForMarinke?
No, but we are happy to work hand in hand. #MandalasForWink is a separate project honoring Wink, created by the team at Design Wars. People around the world are asked to share a crochet mandala online with that hashtag to spread Wink’s beautiful inspiration far and wide. Anyone who joins the #MandalasForWink project is absolutely welcome to send that same mandala (or any other crochet mandala) in to the #MandalasForMarinke project as well.
I have other ideas about how I’d like to contribute or collaborate. How can I let you know?
Contact me via email (kathryn.vercillo on gmail) with your message. I’d love to hear it.
Where can I get more information about how crochet helps people heal?
You’ll find a roundup of links to my crochet health articles here.
Here are the contributions posted so far:
- 2 beautiful crochet mandalas from Laura in IN
- Thread crochet mandala by Carolina in FL
- Cotton crochet mandala by Aurelia in OK
- Lovely crochet mandala by Susan in KS
- Special crochet mandala from Gayle in NV
- Neon crochet mandala from Karen in WV
- Spoke mandala from Alessandra in WA
- Charissa’s crochet mandala contribution
- Big and small crochet mandalas by Karen in KS
- Crochet spoke mandala from Monika in Germany
- Snowflake crochet mandala from Deborah aka Snowcatcher
- Anonymous UK crochet mandala contribution
- 3 thread crochet mandalas from Jude in Canada
- Crochet spoke mandala from Sara in North Wales
- Anonymous blue crochet mandala
- Pink crochet mandala from Annemarie in Netherlands
- Standard crochet mandala from Corinne (cozamundo) in England
- Crochet mandala from Dutch blogger Elisabeth Andree
- Crochet mandalas from Lynne in CA
- Crochet mandala from Sabina in Switzerland
- Crochet mandala from PrincessandtheBearUK
- Sunny crochet mandala from Kelly in Georgia
- Inspirational crochet mandala from Sarah of Stitchhikers in CA
- Crochet mandala from Amy in CT
- Two crochet mandalas from Valerie of @thegirllovesyarn
- Touching anonymous contribution
- Crochet mandala from Clare of @frankielovescrochet
- Special anonymous contribution
- Cherity’s rainbow crochet mandala from IL
- Unique anonymous crochet contribution
- Kat’s mandala from MA
- Priscilla’s crochet mandala from The Netherlands
- Katy’s mandala and message
- Crochet mandala from Ali in Australia
- Sharon in Toronto
- Podcaster TheCATTLady
- Lynette in CA
- Vicky in Australia
- LuAnn’s meaningful crochet mandala
- Anonymous in pastels
- Sheila of Sewchet
- CGOA founder and crochet author Gwen Blakley Kinsler
- Becky in CA
- Complementary anonymous crochet mandalas
- Alice’s color-coded crochet mandala cushions
- Leslie’s braided crochet mandalas
- Lisa (+ forest bathing)
- Maya’s crochet pattern for Mandalas for Marinke
- Laura (+ dance video on depression)
- Sarah in UK ( + “I Hope You Never Understand”)
- Lisette (+ Mental Health Issues Aren’t Contagious)
- Anneke in Netherlands
- Tammy in Kuwait
- Jamie (+ history of defining depression)
- Anonymous with a Crochet Poem
- Catherine’s Yummy Crochet Mandala
- Susan’s Crochet Mandala (+ Men’s Depression)
- Athena’s Crochet Mandala (+The Black Dog Institute)
- Grace W.’s Crochet Mandala (+ Tats 4 Life)
- Debi’s Crochet Mandala (+ menopause depression)
- Karen’s Mandala from Lancaster, UK
- Flo’s Crochet Mandalas (+ Workplace Depression)
- Gabriela’s Crochet Mandalas (+ Journal of Depression and Anxiety)
- Alissa Beverly’s Crochet Mandalas (+ Kingsolver quote)
- Brenda’s Crochet Mandala (+ treatment-resistant depression)
- Kathy Ahlbrandt’s Crochet Mandala (+ common reasons for suicide)
- PenelopeCooper’s Crochet Mandala (+ dehydration depression)
- Anonymous Mandala (+ Digital Quilt Project)
- Judy’s Crochet Mandala for Marinke (+ National Suicide Prevention Awareness Week)
- Bahar’s Crochet Mandala (+ 9/11 and PTSD)
- Pia’s Crochet Mandala (+ World Suicide Prevention Day)
- Jenny Brown’s Thread Crochet Mandalas (+ Child Suicide)
- Anonymous Pink Mandala (+ suicide prevention)
- Jennifer’s Crochet Mandalas from Australia
- Shelly’s Crochet Mandala (with depression info links)
- Maryann’s Mandala (+ tachyphylaxis)
- Ginny’s Mandala (+ nutrition for depression)
- Crochetlovingcelticghirl’s crochet mandala (+ indecision in depression)
- Louisa’s Crochet Mandalas (+ depression in relationships)
- Tamara G’s Crochet Mandala (+ To Write Love On Her Arms)
- Anonymous Contribution (+ Buzzfeed video about depression)
- Allison’s Mandala (+ springtime suicides)
- Kathleen’s Rainbow Crochet Mandala (+ poetry for depression)
- Michaelle’s Crochet Mandala (+ depression comic)
- Jan’s Crochet Mandala + writing about depression
- Lydia’s Crochet Star Mandala + PTSD short film
- Cait’s Crochet Mandalas + Dr. Seuss Inspiring Quotes
- Divina’s Crochet Mandala + “My Many Colored Days”
- Abby Call’s Crochet Mandala + Photo Project
- Kelly’s Crochet Mandala + Cingulotomy Surgery for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Annie’s Crochet Mandala + WRAP Plans
- Crochet Mandala by Treble Stitch + ME/CFS Depression
- Sarah’s Crochet Mandala + PostPartum Depression
- Pamela’s Crochet Mandalas, Thread Mini Hearts and Deadlines in Depression
- Lani’s Neon Rainbow Mandala + Andrew Solomon TED Talk
- Mackenzie’s Crochet Mandala + Spoken Word
- Mariana’s Crochet Mandalas + Exercise in Depression
- Crochet Mandalas from Ayse + Depression Self-Portraits
- Anonymous Contribution + Pregnancy Depression
- Erica’s Crochet Mandala + Suicide in College
- Threadwinder’s Crochet Mandala Pattern
- Ana’s Crochet Mandala + World Mental Health Day
- Sarah’s Crochet Mandala + Mental Health Technology
- Corinne’s Crochet Mandala + National Depression Screening Day
- Crochet Mandalas (and child art) from Ruby Jane’s Lane + caregivers’ resources
- Jay’s Crochet Mandala + Mental Health Infographic
- Dianne45’s Crochet Mandalas + Mental Health Awareness Days
- Amy’s Crochet Mandalas + Mental Health Awareness
- Jodie’s Crochet Mandala + Children of Depressed Parents
- Jenny Every’s Crochet Mandalas + Mindfulness Crochet
- Linda’s Crochet Mandalas + Urban vs Rural Suicide
- Crochet Mandalas for Marinke by the Crochet Guild of Puget Sound
- Steph’s Mandalas + Factors Linked with Depression
- Crochet Mandalas (with rug) by Susan Laney + Understanding Bipolar
- Anne’s Crochet Mandalas + Mental Health Issues in India
- Linda’s Mandalas for Wink and Sammy + Crohn’s Link with Depression
- Brenda’s Crochet Mandalas + Types of Trauma
- Kerry’s Crochet Mandala Art + Black Dog Videos
- Fran’s Crochet Mandalas + Living Through Trauma
- Monika’s Crochet Mandala + Language of Suicide
- Monique’s Crochet Mandala + Mandala Meditation
- Texas Women’s Terrific Group Contribution
- Crochet Mandalas by Carolyn Christmas + Films About Depression
- Acacia’s Crochet Mandalas
- DiAnna’s Crochet Mandalas + her story
- Elizabeth’s Crochet Mandala + Baby Bereavement Crochet
- Crochet Motifs by Patty Davis + being depressed online
- Alexandra’s crochet mandalas (CrochetingThruChronicDiseases) + how crochet heals
- Stephanie Davies crochet mandala + balancing activity and contemplation
- Cathy’s crochet mandala + BuddyBox
- Jeanette’s crochet mandala + suicide rates in New Zealand
- Joanne’s crochet mandala + sound therapy for depression
- Heather’s crochet Mandalas for Marinke
- Roxanne’s crochet mandalas from Australia
- Andrea’s crochet mandala + suicide attempt survivors
- Carolien’s crochet mandala + Ruby Wax on depression
- Stephanie’s crochet mandalas for Marinke + pet therapy for depression
- Sarah Bradley’s crochet mandalas + flowers for depression
- Maddy’s Crochet Mandala + Depression in Children of Divorce
- Gwynneth’s Crochet Mandalas for Marinke
- Janice’s Butterfly Peacock Crochet Mandala + Memoir: The Beautiful Unseen
- Shelley’s Crochet Mandala Rugs
- Gzhel Mini Mandala Free Crochet Pattern … and roundup of many mini mandalas
- Felicia’s Crochet Mandala + Depression in Prostitution
- Jen’s Pretty Pale Crochet Mandala and Her Story of the Healing of Crochet
- Caroline’s Crochet Mandala + Obesity and Depression
- Sarah’s Crochet Mandalas + Longform Depression Articles on Medium
- CrochetKitten’s Crochet Mandalas + Isolation in Depression
- Ash’s Crochet Mandala and Grief When Celebrities Die
- Emily Z’s Crochet Mandala and Crochet Heals Story
- Lauren’s Crochet Mandala and An Artist With Depression
- Hannah M’s Crochet Mandala
- Pauline’s Crochet Mandalas for Marinke
- Cindy’s Crochet Mandala + Suicide in Schools
- Wendy’s Crochet Mandalas + Depression vs Sadness
- Anonymous Crochet Mandala and Mini Mandala
- 50 Beautiful Crochet Mandalas for Marinke by Jennie’s Yarn Shop!
- Angela’s Crochet Mandala + Native American Youth Suicides
- Kathryn Olson’s Crochet Mandala + Resilience for Overcoming Depression
- Helene’s Crochet Mandala + Mental Health Among Entrepreneurs
- Susana’s Crochet Mandala + San Francisco Mental Health in Jails
- Lhizz’s Crochet Mandala + Wink’s Crochet Mandala Book
- Ana Sudy’s Crochet Mandalas for Marinke + Thoughts On Richard Brautigan
- Annelie’s Crochet Mandalas
- Patty Simpson’s Crochet Mandala + Aspartame May Increase Depression
- DaniellaJoe’s Crochet Mandala
- Pink Mambo’s Crochet Mini Mandala Free Pattern
- Wee Witchy Steph’s Neon Crochet Mandalas
- Arienne’s Crochet Mandala and Depression in ASL
- Leigh’s Crochet Mandala and Tips for Saving Money on Depression Treatment
- Holly’s Crochet Mandalas + Courage Worldwide
- Anonymous Mandala + Natural Depression Treatment
- The Knottingham’s Crochet Mandala
- Danita’s Crochet Mandala and Pam Houston Depression Quote
- Nicolas Martine’s Crochet Mandala + Suicide in Animals
- Emily’s Crochet Mandala + Loving a Depression Sufferer
- Kirstie’s Crochet Mandala + Animal Wisdom Passage
- Becky’s Crochet Mandala + Healing Through Crochet
- Anonymous Variegated Crochet Mandala + Romeo and Juliet Depression
- Cari’s Crochet Mandala + Columbine Shooting Book
- Lynda @LoveAGoodYarn Crochet Mandala + Health Benefits of CALs
- Danielle’s Crochet Mandala + Always Keep Fighting
- Kayt of Vivacious Art shares her Crochet Mandalas for Marinke
- Elene’s Crochet Mandala from Cyprus
- Alice’s Crochet Mandala + French Depression
- Anonymous Serendipitous Crochet Mandala
- Wrap the Kids in Crochet Butterfly Mandala + Counseling Success Story
- Charlisa Designs Crochet Mandala + “My Depression” picture book
- MadWhimsy’s Crochet Mandalas and Healing Story
- Olivia’s Crochet Mini Mandalas and Words from Favorite Bloggers
- Big, Bold, Colorful Crochet Mandalas with Excellent Messages
- Vicki’s Crochet Mandala + Crochet Saved My Life
- Debbie’s Crochet Mandala + Crochet for Depression
- Rebecca’s Crochet Mandala + William and Kate Work to Prevent Suicide
- Tina’s Crochet Mandala + Suicide After Not Getting Help
- Ali’s Crochet Mandala + Coloring for Depression
- Jane’s Crochet Mandala + Story of How Crochet Heals
- Diane’s Crochet Mandala + Art Therapy for Depression
- Crochet Mandala from OffTheHookBySusan + Steps to End Stigma of Depression
- Sara’s Crochet Mandala + EcoTherapy for Depression
- Kym’s Crochet Mandala + Substance Abuse as Relief for Depression
- Kathryn’s Crochet Mandala + Benefits of Random Acts of Kindness
- Christina’s Crochet Mandalas + Golden Gate Bridge Suicides
- How Making a Crochet Mandala Helped Natasha
- Renee’s Crochet Mandala and Healing Story
- Claudia’s Crochet Mandala + Depression on Teen Mom TV Show
- Kerrie and Kara’s Crochet Mandalas + Depression Quotation
- Mari’s Crochet Mandalas + Historic Men with Mental Illness
- Stephanie’s Crochet Mandalas for Marinke + Wink’s Blossom
- Michelle’s Crochet Mandalas + Demonizing Depression
- Victoria’s Crochet Mandalas for Marinke + Diagnostic Symptoms of Depression
- Crochet Mandala by SheMakesHats + Depression in Syrian Refugees
- Cassie’s Crochet Mandala + Faking Happiness on Social Media
- Maryann’s Mini Crochet Mandalas
- 5 Mandalas in Honor of Marinke
- Kate Graff’s Crochet Mandalas + Walking for Wellness
- Anonymous Contribution + Edna St. Vincent Millay Quote
- Crochet Mandala from The Grange Range … and Prince
- Liz’s Crochet Mandalas + Murder-Suicide as a Form of Suicide
- Selina’s Crochet Mandalas + Sarah Klegman Depression Story
- XO Mandalas for Marinke by Amy + Sharing News of Loss Online
- Esther’s Crochet Mandalas + Waltz Through La La Land
- Anne’s Cotton Crochet Mandalas + WebMD Depression Resources
- Hannah’s Crochet Mandala + Depression as the Enemy of Creativity
- Kim’s Crochet Mandalas + David Foster Wallace
- Cai’s Crochet MandalasForMarinke + Wentworth Miller on Fat Shaming / Depression
- Anonymous Crochet MandalasForMarinke + Rubberband Theory
- Carmen’s Crochet MandalasForMarinke + Sleeplessness in Depression
- Kierstin’s Crochet Mandalas for Marinke
- Amy’s Crochet Mandala + #MyDepressionLooksLike
- Stacey’s Crochet Mandala + Love Is Louder
- Sharon’s Crochet Mandala + The Surprising Group of Veterans at Highest Risk of Suicide
- Crochet Mandala from Istanbul + Asthma/ Depression Link
- Carolyn’s Crochet Mandala + CDC Depression Screener
- Maria’s Crochet Mandala + Hope Make Heal
- Elizabeth’s Crochet Mandalas + Carry The Fallen Heroes
- Catarina’s Crochet Mandalas + The Possibility of Zero Suicides
- Sonia’s Crochet Mandalas + 10 Things to Ease Depression Relapse
- MagneticMary’s Crochet Mandala + I Will Find You
- Madalena’s Crochet Mandala + Wink In The News
- Amy’s Crochet Mandala + Starfish Story
- Emily’s Crochet Mandala + Quotes Celebrating Growth / Pain
- Dineke’s Mini Crochet Mandalas (with free pattern) + Reaching Out to Depressed Colleagues
- Julie’s Meaningful Crochet Mandalas + Humanthology on Depression
- Anonymous Colorful Crochet Mandalas + Depression on Mother’s Day
- Elisabeth’s Crochet Mandalas + Pet Therapy for Depression
- Cris’s Crochet Mandalas for Marinke + Depression Makeup Tutorial Video
- Anne’s Crochet Mandala + Gender Tipi Collaborative Project
- Melissa’s Crochet Mandala And Struggle with Depression
- Kari’s Crochet Mandala + Depression in Generations of Families
- Ann’s Crochet Mandala + Suicide Rate Increase
- Charlie’s Crochet Mandala + “Suicide” Shampoo