As a writer I am committed to helping others explore, articulate and share their own individual stories. I believe that each of us has a unique experience of life and that sharing it heals ourselves and it heals others. I believe that each story is a thread in a beautiful fabric that blankets the world and helps each one of us.
As a crafter, Eu acredito que crochet heals us. I am particularly committed to helping people share their stories about crochet, about the health benefits of the craft and the way it has improved their lives and the beauty of moments gathered throughout the days to make something by hand. I believe that the process and the product are both beneficial; and I mean that in regards to handcrafted items as well as to shared stories.
Do you want to share your story? I’m happy to help. Anyone is welcome to complete an interview. Please make sure to read the full details in the “important” section below and follow the rules accordingly to make it easier for everyone.
Below you will find a set of questions to use for your self-directed email-based interview. You can answer as few or as many questions as you like, in as much or as little detail as you are comfortable with. Before the questions you will find a set of tips that make it more likely you will get published. Before proceeding, read the following carefully:
By submitting an interview you agree that your work can be published in part or in full on this blog, other blogs I write for, in print magazines or in books that I author. There is no knowing in advance when or where publication will occur. Your article may be published in the style of an interview or an article, at my discretion. It may be published online or in print, including in my future books. There is no monetary compensation for the interview. You are welcome to include links; at least one will be published. There is no guarantee as to when or where your article will be published. I will make every effort to publish every article in a timely manner but this varies a lot depending on content, editorial schedules, other projects, etc.
If you agree to the above and want to complete the interview, here are some more key things to know:
- You should submit your interview as a complete article via email to kathryn.vercillo (@ gmail.com). It can be sent in the body of the email or as an attachment.
- You may answer as much or as little as you like from the questions available below.
- Any photos you give permission to use should be included in the same email via attachment or link.
- You must be clear in your message about how you want to be identified (full name, first name only, anonymous, etc.)
- You may include as many links as you want, but list them in terms of priority as some publications only allow one or two links.
- You are welcome to share quotes and portions of information from your website but please don’t make the interview a copy-and-paste of items that can already be found elsewhere on the web; it should be original.
TIPS FOR PUBLICATION
This is your story. You can share what you want in the way that you wish to. No entanto, you are most likely to get published quickly and completely if you adhere to the following tips:
- Answer at least ten questions.
- Answer questions in-depth, not in brief.
- Answer at least one question in the “benefícios de crochê” Categoria.
- Include high-quality photos. Ideally these are at least 1 mb, are not fuzzy, do not include extraneous items.
- Be sure to indicate if any of the photos require a photographer or model credit.
- Just be you! I can adjust any misspellings or grammatical issues or anything like that. Be yourself and share your story in the way most authentic to who you are. It is perfect just that way!
Below you will find multiple categories with many questions each. Do not feel that you must answer every question. Choose the questions that you want to answer and answer them with as much depth as possible. The ideal interview is 10-20 questions although it is completely up to you how many questions you answer.
Questions About Learning to Crochet
- When did you learn to crochet?
- Como você aprendeu de crochet?
- What are your fondest memories of learning to crochet?
- What was easiest / most difficult about learning to crochet?
- Existe alguma coisa que você não sabe em crochet que você gostaria de aprender?
- What made you interested in learning to crochet?
- Have you taught crochet to anyone else?
- What is the most important thing you would want to tell someone who is just learning to crochet?
- What are some of your favorite crochet tips?
Questions About The Benefits of Crochet
- What benefits has crochet brought to your life?
- What health concerns (or life issues) do you have and how does crochet help?
- What type of crochet projects offer you the most personal benefit?
- In what settings have you seen crochet help people?
- Would you consider crochet a form of therapy? Se assim for, elaborate.
- How has your self-esteem or perception of yourself changed since you started crocheting?
Questions About What You Crochet
- What are your favorite items to crochet?
- Você crochet mais para si mesmo ou para os outros?
- What is your favorite crochet stitch or technique?
- What was the very first thing that you crocheted? Where is it now?
- What is the smallest / largest item you have ever crocheted?
- What is the weirdest thing you have made?
- O projeto de crochet você mais se orgulha de?
- Quantas vezes você crochê?
- Have you participated in collaborative crochet including yarnbombing?
Questions About Crochet Materials
- What is your favorite yarn (brand or fiber or weight)?
- What is your favorite crochet hook? (brand, tipo, or size?)
- What experiences do you have crocheting with alternative materials such as plastic bags, VHS tape, etc?
- What other supplies do you use besides yarn and hook?
- What crochet product would you absolutely recommend to others?
- What are your favorite crochet books? (Or who are your favorite crochet designers?)
Questions About Where You Crochet
- Where do you live? (urban or rural? what city or country? whatever you are comfortable sharing to paint a picture for us)
- What is the setting when you crochet at home? (who is with you, what are you watching or listening to, what time of day is it?)
- Do you crochet other places than home? Se assim for, what experiences have you had crocheting in public?
- Do you crochet with other crafters? Do you consider yourself part of a craft community?
- Quantas vezes você crochê?
Questions About Crochet Business and Art
- Where do you sell your crochet? (Online, craft fairs, etc?) What do you like about the different venues for sales?
- What inspired you to start selling or exhibiting your crochet work? What have been the best and worst parts of that experience?
- Make your business pitch … what makes your crochet unique and special? What is the mission of your business/ art?
- How do you approach networking with other crafters?
- What are the pros and cons of making money doing a craft you love?
- What legal concerns have you dealt with as a craft business person?
- What advice do you have for crocheters who want to sell what they make?
Fun and Funky Crochet Questions
- Have you ever been injured by your crochet hook?
- If you could have a craft party, what five people (living or dead, real or fictional) would you invite?
- Qual é a razão número um que você crochet?
- Terminar a frase … “If I couldn’t crochet, I would … “
- What is your crochet superpower? (What are you super good at in crochet?!)
- If you could have any other crochet superpower, magical though it may be, what would you choose?
Questions About The Rest Of Life
- Você faz qualquer outros ofícios? How do they compare to crochet?
- What self-care practices do you have for improving your life?
- Who are your role models or inspirations?
- What is your favorite quote or saying?
- What five words would best describe you?
- What else do you want us to know?
Submit Your Interview
When you are ready to submit your interview, send all of the following in one email to kathryn.vercillo (@ gmail.com)
- Answers to interview questions along with any other crochet info you want us to know
- Clear indication of what name you want used in your interview (first only, anonymous, etc.)
- Any links you want included (site, loja, blog, meios de comunicação sociais) in order of priority to you
- Fotos – particularly high-quality, focused images of your crochet work along with one headshot
Thanks in advance for sharing your story and adding it to the fabric of stories about the beauty of crochet!