I mentioned earlier this week that I was working on some rag rugs using old scraps from silk scarves, bladen, and T-shirts. I thought I’d give you a glimpse into my first attempt at crocheting these into a large granny square inspired rug.
I can see that I did a few things wrong:
- I didn’t cut the rags the best way possible. I know better know since there are some great tutorials for creating yarn from rags. These ones were actually strips that I cut and knotted together a couple of years ago when I first started crocheting. I kind of like the effect it creates with lots of bows throughout the piece but I want to try a better way next time.
- I didn’t do the edges of the piece right. I didn’t get the length right and it was just a dumb sleep mistake. The result is that the rectangle looks really lopsided and I don’t like that. I’m going to add a yarn border all the way around to try to visually correct that.
- I don’t know if I love my color choices. I want to play more with using colors and patterns from scrap fabric in a way that really stands out.
I think it’s okay as a first try. I liked doing it more than I thought I would. So we’ll see where this takes me …