Welcome to the 2014 Awesome Crochet Blog Awards.
Today’s award is for:
And it goes to:
Marinke of A Creative Being for Sheepjes Blanket CAL
About This Award
Learn more about what these awards are here. This specific award is for the best CAL of the year. The CAL (crochet-along) is a great thing for the crochet community because it encourages crafters from all over to work on their own versions of the same project and connect together around it online. It is a creative way for a designer to gain traction for a new crochet pattern while getting the community involved.
About The Winner
The winner of this award is Marinke (Wink) of A Creative Being for the Sheepjes CAL. Netherlands-based Marinke and I originally connected around our common interest in using crochet to heal. She hit a low in 2010 and learned to crochet as one way out of it (similar to my own story of how Crochet Saved My Life) and she finds that crochet continues to be an asset to her with her diagnosis of Asperger’s Syndrome. Since then she started the blog, opened an Etsy shop, designed a number of original crochet patterns and inspires many in the world of crafting. One of the things I love about her is that she has a signature style that is easy to recognize in terms of both her crochet work and the way that she presents it (using unique fonts, a consistent color palette, etc.) Find her on Ravelry to see more of what I mean.
Connect with Marinke on social media:
Why The Winner Won
Here are some of the reasons that I selected this blogger for this crochet award:
- This CAL is a set of crochet squares that are based on the patterns of succulents, which happen to be a favorite of mine.
- It’s intended to be a blanket but because each pattern is a square you could actually make a variety of different projects if you wanted to.
- The crochet patterns for this CAL are available in English, Dutch and French.
- It’s a collaboration with Scheepjeswol to showcase their yarns. The yarns look lovely but the CAL isn’t overly promotional. There’s a great balance there of showing off the product without overselling it.
- The CAL was coordinated through a Facebook group. It’s a Mystery CAL and since lots of people started late Wink was kind enough to set up a second group to maintain the mystery for those folks. Thoughtful!
- The crochet square patterns are really unique and beautiful!
This Winner Previously Won
In previous years I’ve awarded this blogger:
Other Categories I Could Have Chosen
Each person is only awarded one award each year (and likewise, each award only goes to one person with a few exceptions) but of course each amazing blogger often does many things well. Some of the other categories that I easily could have given this blogger an award for include:
- Best Instructions on Free Crochet Patterns
- Best Yarn Photos
- Best Giveaways
Support the Awards
If you win one of the awards (or if you just want to show your support of this awards project) you are more than welcome the spread the word. Feel free to use the image above and resize as needed to add to a blog post or your blog’s sidebar. Please link back either to this post or to the main post. You can also spread the word through social media. The more the merrier … And extend a hand to give a congratulations to this winner!