Neusa Mertens, Carol Alexander, Vivienne Tam, SnippetFairy and more from this week in 2011
This post shows what was happening on this crochet blog during this same week in 2011 … and includes related updates where I can. You can follow the links to the original posts and additional information.
Going Green Installation Art by Robere Mertens
The crochet artist I profiled at this time last year was Neusa Mertens, a mixed media artist who uses crochet and other fiber art in along with his sound installation experience to create unique displays of art. I love the description of him on his website, where it explains that he “weaves, crochets, knits, felts, e bordadeiras, in conjunction with wiring, splicing, soldering, and programming to create live performance installations”. Mertens had a busy 2011 with multiple shows including at least one solo show in May/June. Here’s one of his newer pieces; it’s called Tardive Transmission:
At the time that I wrote the post, I asked if any one knew of other crochet artists working with sound at all. Last summer I discovered Sound Suit crochet artist Nick Cave who does performance art using crochet and incorporating sound.
In other crochet art news at this time last year the Smithsonian was hosting a crochet coral reef exhibit. Later in the year I did a more complete profile of The Wertheim sisters who were responsible for this project.
Livros de crochet
Revi Crochet Jackets, Envoltórios e muito mais, a book edited by Carol Alexander. Carol had patterns published in both Crochet World and Crochet! Revista em 2011. Her most recent publication that I know of (mostrado acima) é Crochet Magazine Presents: Best Ever Afghans Fall 2011, a single issue magazine with almost 150 pages of crochet goodness.
Interesting news stories from this week last year included:
- Fomentar a vovó Crochets Mittens para crianças necessitadas. This story ended up being included in my 2011 booklet of awesome elderly crocheters available for purchase now for less than $6.
- 15 Muito, "Sexy", Sweet Crochet Items for Valentine’s Day. I did a roundup of these that is quite a contrast to this year’s Etsy treasury of risque, off-the-wall Valentine’s crochet. I will note that I included crochet pasties from @sexonastitch in both year’s articles though!
- 2nd Annual Portland Yarn Crawl. I had to find out if there’s going to be a 2012 version and indeed there is. It happens the first weekend of March but it’s now called the Rose City Yarn Crawl.
This is the time of year for New York Fashion Week. I will be publishing the crochet on those runways from this year in my end-of-the-month celebrity and designer crochet roundup. Last year I did some individual posts, the first of which was the Vivienne Tam crochet. She had some great pieces in her spring 2011 collection but I don’t see any crochet in the spring 2012 collection nor have I been able to find any from her since the show last year.
This was the week last year when we first spotted Khloe Kardashian in a crochet crop top sweater. Curiosamente, enough, I just mentioned this again recently in my post about camisolas de celebridade em crochê.
And finally in fashion. Matteo Molinari won the collection of the year award from The London College of Fashion for his great crochet menswear collection. Sim, crochê moda masculina, such as this crochet jacket (see more here):
Crochê na Etsy
Before we get into the daily Etsy crochet features of this week last year, I also did an interview with Etsy Crocheter SnippetFairy. Mais tarde em 2011 I ended up featuring her in a daily post because I really liked her eco-friendly crochet dish scrubbies. Dela Loja Etsy remains active. I have to say one of the things I love about it is that it’s organized by color, a display I think looks great. One item that I really like right now is her round coin purse with flower:
Os recursos de crochê Etsy que eu escolhi para este site durante esta semana do ano passado foram:
- Namorados Dia dos namorados by ChristinasYarnCrafts
- Toddler Crochet Ballet Slippers by PeanutsCrochet
- Seashell Crochet Neckwarmer by Denizo3
- Crochet branco verão Top by Pavalu
- ChristinasYarnCrafts is currently on vacation so the store is empty
- Absorbent Cotton Crochet Coasters by PeanutsCrochet
- Gray Seashell Neckwarmer by Denizo3
- Turquoise Crochet Shrug by Pavalu
Citações de crochê:
As citações de crochê que foram apresentadas no site durante esta mesma semana no ano passado foram:
"Nós Croche quadrados, chapéus, cachecóis, e cobertores para doar para aqueles em necessidade podem sentir o calor e o conforto de alguém que se importa. Nós de crochê para os outros antes de nós crochê para nós mesmos." – Debi Y.
“Crochet offers a new dimension to craft, from scarves to sculpture. Discover the joys of working with motifs and the array of projects that can be made stitch by stitch”. – Erika Knight
“You’ll enjoy experimenting with the wonderful new yarns available to us today – the imitation furs, the eyelash yarns, the metallics. Don’t be afraid to experiment with new colors and textures.” – Jean Leinhauser e Rita Weiss
“It’s relaxing. Some people read books, I crochet.” – Tamera White
And a long quote from Mary Abbe celebrating the vernacular of handmade.
Crocheters on Twitter
At this time last year I recommended following ten crocheters on Twitter. Let’s check in on them:
- @LTSNeedlework. This one is no longer active.
- @crochetbug. Crochet blogger with a very active Twitter account.
- @plainsight. Blogger from The Hook and I where I just recently entered a giveaway to try to win the new Seamless Crochet book from @kristin_omdahl.
- @thecrochetdude. This guy continues to be popular with crocheters and active on Twitter.
- @crochetbyfaye. Robyn Chachula had a new crochet encyclopedia come out in 2011.
- @lindamade. This crochet designer /author is great about Tweeting.
- @MHDesigner. Margaret Hubert is a crochet designer who shares information about this work on Twitter.
- @OlekNYC. I have continued to love Olek’s crochet artwork so of course I still follow her on Twitter.
- @CrochetSpot. Rachel Choi tweets about padrões de crochet, how to crochet and more.
- @ToniLRex. This is the Twitter account for Toni Rexroat, the assistant editor for Crochet Me and Interweave Crochet. Tenho frequently quoted her great writing on this site.
Aqui está o que eu estava fazendo um ano atrás:
I made and shared my Solomon’s Knot Crochet Scarf. It’s actually hanging on my fireplace mantle right now although I’m sure I’ll revive it as a wearable for my 365 Ways to Wear Crochet project.
Eu também experimentei minha four simple crochet joys of the week.
What were you doing one year ago in crochet or on your blog?