About Discussion Posts
I value what my readers have to say and think that your voice can contribute a lot of knowledge to this blog. Each Friday I’ll post a thought or question that I believe is pertinent to crocheters today. It’s a chance for you to share your thoughts and opinions on the topic. You can just say what’s on your mind about it or you can respond to other people’s comments and thoughts. Always feel comfortable sharing your thoughts but also use common sense in making it clean, respectful and nice to everyone in the group.
Today’s Topic: Non-Yarn, Non-Thread Crochet
I’ve mentioned crocheting with alternative materials many times on this blog as well as on Twitter and G+ but we haven’t had a full discussion about it. I want to get your honest thoughts about the pros and cons of crocheting with anything other than yarn or thread. Have you done it? Like it? Hate it? Have an interest in it? Think it’s ridiculous? Tell the truth!
You can say anything you want here about your experience with alternative material but here are some ideas to get you started:
- What materials have you crocheted with? (Some I know of are newspaper, sacos de plástico, fio, trapos, meias, comida, cassette and VHS tape and rope.)
- When you hear of a new material people are crocheting with, do you roll your eyes or immediately want to try it?
- What have been your best and worst experiences crocheting with non-yarn?
- When you’ve tried this, has it been a once-only thing or something you’d do again?
- What positive or negative impact do you think these things have on how the craft of crochet is viewed?
- Do you consider this type of crochet as part of your craft or is it something separate (more green crafting than crochet for example?)
- Share links to photos of what you’ve crocheted with alternative materials!
Discuss in the comments below! (I’ll be adding in my two cents in response as the day goes on.)