I’ve written a lot about mindfulness crochet on this blog and in my book, Crochet Saved My Life. But what exactly is mindfulness? Che cosa significa per uncinetto per realizzare mindfulness? Ed è una cosa completamente diversa da essere consapevoli di lavori all'uncinetto? This article explains more about crochet and mindfulness.
What Is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is a term that most people associate with Buddhism although it’s not necessarily a part of formal Buddhist practice, at least it’s not the way that most Westerners practice mindfulness today. At its core, mindfulness is really just complete concentration on the present moment. Stai per essere consapevoli quando si smette di concentrarsi sui pensieri nella tua testa e cominciare a concentrarci su tutti i sensi che si sta vivendo in questo momento nel momento presente.
Vantaggi della Mindfulness
La gente oggi, me compreso, sono spesso interessati a consapevolezza a causa dei molti benefici diversi che può offrire alla salute mentale, salute fisica e un generale miglioramento della qualità della vita. Alcuni dei vantaggi più comunemente citati della consapevolezza includono:
- Ansia ridotto. E 'difficile essere ansioso quando si stanno concentrando sul momento presente, perché è chiaro che si sta bene adesso nel momento presente. (Va notato che nelle fasi iniziali di apprendimento della praticare la consapevolezza ci può essere un periodo di ansia e disagio ma questo passa con la pratica).
- Relax e riduzione dello stress. Taking the time to sit still and focus on what is right in front of you provides a relaxing release that you don’t get if you’re just going, going, going all day long.
- Increased energy. Many people say that the relaxation offered through mindfulness and the de-stressing they experience when practicing mindfulness regularly allows them to feel increased energy throughout the day.
- Reduced depression. In Crochet Saved My Life I talk a lot about my own experience of fighting depression and how mindfulness through crochet helped me with that. Mindfulness è spesso utilizzato come parte del trattamento per molte condizioni di salute mentale tra cui depressione e disturbo bipolare.
In another article I wrote about crochet and mindfulness for depression Ho spiegato:
Crochet is terrific because it is a hands-on, focused activity that has repetitive (and therefore meditative) qualities. When you catch yourself ruminating on negative thoughts, you can learn to consistently bring yourself back to the work at hand. When I was dealing with depression, it was helpful to remind myself that I could not solve THIS BIG PROBLEM (whatever I felt like the problem was) and that my only concern right then needed to be finishing the scarf in my hands because that was something I did have control over and could do. I could notice that I was thinking about something else or fretting or spiraling into negativity and then I could mindfully and intentionally let that feeling go in order to re-focus on the task at hand.
Other possible benefits of mindfulness supported by research include memory improvement, cognitive flexibility, less emotional reactivity, enhanced self-insight and ability to deal with fear.
Crochet to Achieve Mindfulness
I believe that crochet is a tool that can be used to achieve mindfulness. Like I said before, mindfulness is all about paying intense concentration to what you are doing. Taking the time to sit and focus on your crochet work, and purposefully doing it in a mindful way, can be an intentional mindfulness practice. Some of the ways that crochet can be used to achieve mindfulness includere:
- Make it a habit to turn off all TV, radio and other noise when you crochet. Focus just on what you are doing with your hands.
- Challenge yourself to try new techniques in crochet. Things you don’t know how to do as well will require more focused attention. Mindfulness will happen naturally as a result.
- Counting is often used as a means to mindfulness. There is a lot of counting in crochet! You may try to count to the end of each row without allowing a non-present thought to intrude and start each row over whenever intrusive thoughts do appear.
- Try to focus on all minor motions of the crochet. Focus on each yarn over, each hook through, each turn of the work. Notice what you are doing, what it looks like, what it feels like.
- Use certain cues in crochet to bring you back to focusing on your work. Per esempio, get in the habit of returning to mindfulness each time that you end a row in any project.
- Relate your crochet to other meditation / prayer practices that you may do. Per esempio, designer Hariette Cole did a collection of crochet items that all incorporate 108 stitches in a row because that’s how many beads are on the mala necklace she uses to meditate. Allo stesso modo, many people choose to make prayer shawls where they set an intention / prayer as they make the item.
Using crochet to practice mindfulness for just twenty minutes each day will allow you to bring mindfulness benefits into your everyday life. Often you’ll find yourself becoming more mindful throughout the day even when you’ve put the hooks away.
Did you know that there are six mindfulness crochet exercises in my book, Crochet Saved My Life? Buy your copy now.
Mindfulness in Crochet Work
Even if you don’t want to say that all of this is hooey and that there’s no need for you to practice mindfulness (which I say is a shame, but totally your right to feel that way!), you may find that intentional mindfulness in your crochet work is an asset to the work itself. That’s because the more attention you pay to the details of your work, the more “perfect” the work is going to look. (I put “perfect” in quotes because each handmade item is different and that’s what makes each one special so “perfect” is a very subjective term.)
When you focus on your crochet work with intense concentration, rather than doing it mindlessly or while multi-tasking other things, the work is improved. You notice little things more and can fix problems immediately that you might otherwise let go. Per esempio, sometimes when I work quickly I’ll get my hook caught between the plies of yarn and pull it through in the wrong spot. Di solito è rilevabile per molte persone una volta che il lavoro è fatto, ma se sto a uncinetto consapevolmente questo o non avviene o sarà qualcosa ho notato e corretto. Io non sono un perfezionista nel mio lavoro all'uncinetto con uno sforzo di immaginazione, ma ammetto che c'è qualcosa di soddisfazione nel sapere che avete fatto il miglior lavoro che forse potrebbe fare a fare un pezzo.
Quali sono i tuoi pensieri su crochet per la mindfulness?