I love Pinterest. I’ve been using it since it’s early days and I think it offers many different cool features that outweigh any negatives that I’ve noticed. But today I want to talk about one of the things I’m not so happy to see about Pinterest … e sfido a fare qualcosa adesso!
The Problem: Not Enough Crochet on Pinterest’s Popular Page
When I go to my own Pinterest page, I mostly see crochet things because almost every board I follow is a crochet-related board. Tuttavia, when I poke around the rest of the site, I don’t see crochet as being quite as popular there. If you go to the main board for DIY and Crafts, you will usually see a tiny percentage of crochet items pinned there amidst a sea of other crochet. More disappointing is the fact that I very rarely see crochet items pinned anywhere that make it to the popular page.
I’d love to see this changed. There are so, so many amazing crochet items to be found on Pinterest. And I know that there are a lot of crochet lovers on Pinterest because I follow tons of them! Plus I’m a part of several community crochet boards on Pinterest. So it’d be great if our voices got heard more and the only way for that to happen is for all of us to be pinning more crochet, repinning crochet and liking crochet on Pinterest.
E più: Books and Mental Health Also Underrepresented
I’ve also noticed that two of my other favorite topics are underrepresented on the Pinterest Popular Page. The first is books. There are a lot of people pinning books on Pinterest. I personally have a board for libri in general, libri di uncinetto e “ganci e libri“. And I follow a few books boards from other people but again I rarely see books make it to the popular page of Pinterest.
The other underrepresented topic that is important to me is mental health, in particolare depressione. I realize that this is a tough one for Pinterest. Images around these topics tend to be dark. And there isn’t as much need to aggregate these articles as there may be for people trying to plan a home re-design or stash projects to crochet. Tuttavia, Pinterest is such a hot spot that I think it would be great to see a positive, informational approach to sharing mental health news with people here.
Let’s Fix It
So what can we do to get crochet, and perhaps these other topics, more represented on the popular page of Pinterest? I challenge you to go right now and pin the below image to at least one of your boards. It is the image of the cover of my book, Uncinetto salvato la mia vita. (Read on below to see why this is not entirely self-promotional!) Crochet Saved My Life is about the mental health benefits of crochet, soprattutto (but not entirely) uncinetto per la depressione, anxiety and chronic illness.
When you pin the above image, add your own comment to it, especially if you want to let people know that you’re sharing it for the purpose of spreading the word about crochet, the health benefits of crafting or a specific health issue of interest to you. Use hashtags like #crochet #book and #health. Then ask everyone you know to repin the image to help get it to the popular page of Pinterest!
And to make it more beneficial for you, I’d encourage you to leave a comment on this post with a link to your Pinterest profile showing that you’ve participated. This will encourage others to join in and will also help spread the word about your own Pinterest activities. I’ll follow up on all of those links and make sure I’m following you on Pinterest if I wasn’t already!
Nota: You can also go to my Pinterest Pins and re-pin it from there.
But Wait, Aren’t You Just Trying to Promote Your Own Book?
Ovviamente, Sì. I’m an indie author who pays for all costs of blogging and writing on my own so every little bit of promotion really helps. The more people know about this book, the more likely it is that I’ll be able to continue writing about crochet and health for a living! But that’s not the only reason to join this Pinterest challenge.
Here are some reasons I think it may be worth it to you to join the challenge and pin this image today:
- We’ll make a little Pinterest history. If we can get this pin to the popular page on Pinterest then we’ll be getting attention for crochet, books and health issues all in one fell swoop!
- It’ll help make your Pinterest profile more visible. The more people we get pinning and repinning this, the more people we get seeing all of the profiles of the people who pin, repin and comment on the image! And remember that if you pin it and then leave a link to your Pinterest profile here in the comments then you’ll get more attention for your Pinterest profile.
- It’s a free and easy way to support an indie author. You don’t have to buy the book to show your support of these topics. Simply spreading the word is a free and easy way to let people know about the health benefits of our craft while also supporting the work that I try so hard to make available to others.
- Better sales means more opportunities for the book to reach people. I’ve had several requests to make this book available as an audio book and a book translated into other languages. As a self-published author I have to see sales go up enough to support the cost of doing those things before I can make them happen. If that interests you, spreading the word can help.
- It’s Pinterest – it’s fun!
Will you accept this challenge?