Recently I showed you these three old crochet pillows I made when I first started to crochet:
And I showed you how I took the grey one and repurposed it into two new smaller, more contemporary looking pillows:
Now I’ve gotten to work on the dark pink pillow (the one on the far left in the photo of all three together). Here’s what it looked like:
Primo, I took it apart:
I knew that I used to have a lot of trouble counting my stitches and would never have perfect squares or rectangles but I didn’t realize how off it was! It’s just dc stitches so I don’t know why it was so tough for me to get it even!
Comunque, I decided that the large swatch of crochet fabric would be the perfect base for an oversized shrug. First I folded it over into a long rectangle. Then I pinned the corners shut with decorative buttons. I could have seamed up a little bit to make a more defined sleeve but I wanted a really loose oversized look so I let the button suffice.
Then I created the rest of the shrug shape using Paton’s Soy Wool Silk Yarn in grey, mostly working crossed double crochet stitches. In the front, I wanted the collar to be taller and wider than the rest so what I did was on either side I started with ten hdc stitches, then ten dc, then ten tc, then ten double treble, then I filled in the rest of the center collar portion with triple treble stitches. (I love how the triple treble looks but it’s a really floppy stitch so it’s hard to work with large swaths of it; it worked well with just the small collar portion.)
I added a little bit of trim to the bottom in the back for a more finished look. It’s slightly “spento” since the based wasn’t quite rectangular but it’s not too noticeable since it’s an oversized item. I’m happy with it.