Crochet can help people heal through many conditions including chronic fatigue which is a syndrome of its own as well as a symptom of other illnesses. I’ve written about this before, including when I shared L'histoire de Debbie. But I wanted to point you to another related story today as well as to reiterate why it is that this craft can help with this condition.
Susan, who you may know online as SusanD1408 or Crochet Addict, has dealt with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. She shared this story with Sara of Maman avec un crochet in a three-part post on that blog. You can read the whole story over there, bien sûr, but the key point is that Susan after Susan was diagnosed with CFS she started looking for alternatives to high medication levels and saw a lot of people recommending crochet/ knitting. She hadn’t really enjoyed knitting in the past so she decided to try crochet and she was hooked.
Susan says that her CFS symptoms (which can vary from person to person) include pins and needles pain in her extremities, depression and “brain fuzz”. She said in her post, “Whilst you are crocheting you can switch off, relax and you are stimulating both your brain and your nerves.” This helps with the pain, calms the brain, provides focus for relaxation, distracts the mind and soothes the individual. Susan adds that when the brain fuzz is too strong she can’t always focus on crochet but she can use that time to look for inspiration for new crochet pattern designs. She echoes a point I’ve heard before and mentioned in my book, Crochet a sauvé ma vie, which is that crochet isn’t going to solve the problem or cure the illness but it can significantly reduce the symptoms and improve quality of life.
How Crochet Helps with Symptoms of Chronic Fatigue
Here are five symptoms of chronic fatigue and the ways crochet can help:
- Dépression. Focused, productive crafting that can be done even when you are physically tired can help a lot with this symptom. The repetitive motion of crafting may also release serotonin, qui est un anti-dépresseur naturel.
- Pain. This includes joint pain, muscles aches, headaches and the pins-and-needles described by Susan. The task of crocheting can take the mind’s attention off of the pain and thereby reduce the experience of it. The natural release of serotonin is also a natural painkiller.
- Concentration problems and other cognitive issues. Crochet peut être décomposée en petits morceaux permettant à l'individu d'être créatif en dépit de ce symptôme frustrant. Cette créativité stimuler l'estime de soi et aide à la qualité totale de la vie.
- Sensibilité accrue à la lumière, sons et les odeurs. Le toucher doux de fil et de l'action rythmique de crochet peut fournir un moyen de profiter de la sensation dans votre vie sans faire submergé par elle.
- Irritabilité. Lorsque vous êtes fatigué et endolori vous êtes de mauvaise humeur, qui ne se sentent pas bon pour vous et peut avoir un impact vos relations personnelles. Le métier de détente de crochet peut vous aider à calmer et à réduire l'irritabilité et / ou augmenter votre capacité à réagir d'une manière plus positive.