Here were all of my favorite things in the crochet blogging world this week:
The Style Files did a photo post of a Scandinavian home this week that I loved. The site was highlighting how it was possible to combine industrial chic with vintage/handmade items. Bien sûr, what I really loved was the crochet – there were these little pops of color and warmth thanks to granny squares stuff here and there and I adored it:
Smart Crochet Articles
- So You Want to be a Crochet Designer? Laurie Wheeler of @crochetlibfront provides some top FAQ for this hot topic.
- Vintage Crochet and Buttons Too. Irene Lundgaard shared how old photos of her granny inspired her to try her hand at making crochet collars. She also talks about a love of buttons, which reminds me of the article I wrote awhile back for people who want to combine crochet and buttons.
- It’s Only Weird if it Doesn’t Work. @FreshStitches shares why this line from a commercial is perfectly suited to hre teaching philosophy when it comes to educating others about crafting. Elle dit, “I strongly believe that there are lots of different ways to do something… and as long as it works, you’re doing it right!” Love it!
- Crochet Gauge Rhymes. Dora Ohernstein encourages all crocheters to make gauge swatches in this fun Jimmy Beans Wool post that incorporates some rhyming poems about the topic. The article is really well thought-out, quoique, and looks at some of the reasons many crocheters don’t make swatches.
- Frugal Crocheting. Amy from About.com Crochet talks about ways to save money on crochet, a topic I covered last year as well.
- The Glamorous Life of a Crochet Designer. Twinkie Chan tells us that “Sometimes, after working on a new pattern/project for 2 days, you are left with a pile of unraveled yarn, and a CIRCLE.” As someone who lives “the glamorous life of a writer” I totally understand these times. Another crochet designer shared some thoughts on this life in a post this week; see Aberrant Crochet’s “I Never Set Out to Sell Crochet“.
Beautiful Crocheted Items
As soon as I saw Wood and Wool Stool post about this skirt, I had to comment: “Love seeing wearables from you! The combo of knit and crochet, neutral and neon is perfect!”
CreJJtion has been on a crochet flower square making craze. Beautiful work!
Knot by Gran’ma is making unique crochet masks now.
Le SIBOLETTES have done it again with their donation squares – this blanket is themed around music and I love it! À propos, SIBOL was mentioned this week in a post over on Crochet Aujourd'hui rounding up some great charities to craft for this holiday season.
- Vanessa from Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts is the person that @freshstitches chatted with in the newest Crochet Chat Podcast. Vanessa talks about her battle with cancer and how crochet helped. And thanks to Stacey for mentioning Crochet Saved My Life in that podcast!
- About Renate Kirkpatrick. This isn’t actually an interview but it’s a great profile of Renate Kirkpatrick from Rayela of TAFA.
- 100 Snowflakes to Crochet by Caitlin Sainio. Happy Together offers a thorough review of this new crochet book that looks to be filled with lovely projects.
- Conncet the Shapes Crochet Motif. A look at the new book by Edie Eckman who “brings new techniques from connecting crochet motifs and new creative shapes”. Review by @crochetbyfaye.
How To Crochet
- How to Crochet Stockinette. Crochet Kitten shares the instructions for this knitting-look-alike stitch for crocheters.
- How to Do the Loop Stitch. A full tutorial from @freshstitches for this little-used creative crochet stitch.
- How to Crochet Half and Full Cluster Stitches. Thanks to Moogly for a video tutorial.
- How to Crochet Broomstick Lace. There’s a video tutorial included on this post from Stitch and Unwind.
- How to Crochet the Bars and Loops Stitch. A new video tutorial over on New Stitch a Day.
- How to Crochet Moss Stitch. Via Suz Place with colorful photos of her work.
- Pretty Little Felted Purse Pattern. This is a free crochet pattern from Petals to Picots that may make a good gift for some girls in your life.
- Heart Trivet Pattern. Adorable and unique free crochet pattern from Crochet Dynamite. She also had a great free pattern for “gratitude stones”, which I described on Sulia saying: “I love the positivity of this project. It think it’s really all about mindfulness, a touchstone bringing you back to the moment where you can appreciate all that you have right now even though life is never perfect.”
- Christmas Crochet Advent Bunting Tutorial. Would work for non-holiday time, aussi; a free pattern from Greedy for Colour.
- Ogunquit Granny. A new free crochet blanket pattern from Anastacia Knits.
- Couvertures Crochet. Stitch and Unwind did a roundup of top crochet blanket patterns with great timing since this week I always published a roundup of free crochet baby blanket patterns.
- Organic Potholder Collection. Emma Lamb has a terrific set of new patterns in her shop for beautiful organic crochet potholders.
- Bargello Crochet WIP. Laura of The Crochet Case has set a goal to create 12 new crochet patterns this month. She started with a terrific pattern idea to do a crochet version of the Bargello embroidery stitch. The result looks like pixelated chevrons and I love it. The actual pattern is a WIP but it’s worth taking a look at what she’s working on.
Video of the Week
This is from a few months ago at Miami’s Fashion Week but I’ve been watching it this week, just loving what Anna Kosturova does with crochet swimwear.
- WEBS yarn store has implemented a live chat feature. I really appreciate the option to chat live with the stores I visit online so I’m happy to see them add this.
- Purl Soho has launched a yarn line. They’re excited to be creating their new collections and are kicking it off with Super Soft Merino, a bulky 100% Peruvian merino yarn in bright bold solid colors.
- Juniper Moon Farm is Offering CSA Half Shares. This is one of the farms I highlighted in my fiber CSA article and this is a chance to get started with them!
- A Look at the Different Properties of Wool Yarn. An informative post from Lion Brand.
Other Fun Things
- Benefits of Crafthub. This Handmadeology article looks at how CraftHub makes life a lot easier for Etsy shop owners.
- Post Craft Show Results and Lessons Learned. Jenn Likes Yarn gives all craft sellers some insight into craft show success with her own review of her recent experience.
- Take Better Photos Tutorial Blog Hop. A well of great advice for crafty bloggers from Craftypod, Zen of Making, Radmegan, FreshStitches, Michele Made Me.
- Art of Appreciation. Jordana Paige had a lovely post about handmade gifts that encourage makers to make them even though sometimes it doesn’t seem like they are appreciated right away.
And Some Special Thanks
- To Laura Nixon for featuring an author interview with me in her Examiner column
- To Jamse and Jax for featuring a guest post that I wrote this week called Crochet: An Everyday Craft for Survival
- To A Creative Being for mentioning the soccasins (by Megan Mills) that I shared on Pinterest, which sparked her idea to do a roundup of cute crochet boots. PS – I’m a sponsor of this blog with an ad this month and enjoying supporting her work!
- To Margay for sharing some of the digital press kit materials for Crochet Saved My Life on her blog et Examiner column
- To AnastaciaKnits for mentioning my creativity article that’s in the current issue of Crochetvolution
Support all of the terrific crochet writers, designers and artists out there by visiting their links!
Lectures supplémentaires ...
- Lien d'amour! Meilleures Crochet Messages blog de la semaine y compris les patrons de crochet gratuits
- Supérieur 10 Free Crochet Patterns of the Week (Lien d'amour)
- Where’s the (Crochet Link) Amour?
- 20+ Best New Free Crochet Patterns and Crochet Tutorials (Mid-Week Link Love)
- Je fais du crochet Blogs de coeur! Link Love This Week!