You’ve seen me mention crochet designer Planet June on this blog multiple times. (For example, I compared our Twitter accounts in my Twitter showdown post and I named her as one of my top ten crochet heroes.) This is due in part to the fact that I think June is a cool crochet designer who makes really fun patterns that amigurumi lovers would all really enjoy; her work is Pinterest pinnable and Ravelry queueable. But more than that, it’s because I’ve been really impressed by June’s business ideas and the way that she is truly crafting a fulfilling living for herself. I think she provides a great example for other budding solopreneurs in the arts and crafts world and that’s the real reason behind why I support her work. So today I’m really happy to share more with you about one aspect of her business model and also to give you the opportunity to win a copy of her most recent crochet pattern: a super cute little chameleon.
Crowdsourcing Pattern Commissions
What I want to tell you about is how June has started a new method of commissioning crochet patterns that relies on crowdsourced funding. I believe her approach is smart for her as well as for her customers. Most of the time if you want a crochet pattern designed especially for you then you need to pay a hefty price for that original design. The price is usually more-than-fair to the designer because of all of the work that they put into creating the design but it deters a lot of people from commissioning new designs because who wants to pay a fortune just for a crochet pattern? June’s new model solves this so that the people buying the pattern design get a low price they’re happy with and June gets a fair price for her effort.
Here’s how it works:
- If you go to the commissions page you’ll see a list of patterns that June is thinking about designing. For example, right now two of the coolest patterns I think she is considering making are a capybara crochet pattern and a giant panda pattern.
- If you want one of these patterns, you can pledge the amount that you’re willing to pay for the pattern to make it a reality. You can pledge anywhere from $6 to $120. Once $120 has been pledged, the pattern will be created and anyone that pledged towards it will get the completed pattern. (So, for example, let’s say that I pledge $6 for the capybara and so do 19 other people; we each paid only $6 and we all get the pattern and June gets the $120 for putting the work into making the pattern happen.)
- You can easily see how much of a pledge is required to make the pattern become a reality because June’s model shows you how much has already been pledged and how much is left before it’s a fully funded commission. So let’s say that you’re deciding between the capybara and the giant panda but the giant panda only needs $6 or $12 more dollars to be fully funded. You could fund it immediately and make that happen and get your pattern relatively quickly.
- What if you want a specific animal and you don’t see it on the list? June has a cool “suggest a design” feature that you can use at the bottom of the commissions page.
Enter the Giveaway: Win Yourself a Crochet Chameleon Pattern
Okay, so now that I’m done gushing about June’s awesomeness as a business woman, let’s get to the reason you are here: winning a free crochet pattern. One lucky winner will get a PDF copy of the pattern for this super cute crochet chameleon:
This pdf pattern has detailed instructions with photos to help you along the way. It also has a section that shows you different things that you can do to pose the chameleon in different ways (walking, sitting, climbing). How fun!
Here’s what you need to do to enter to win this giveaway:
For the main required entry … Visit June’s commissions page to see what items are currently in the process of being commissioned. Then, come back here and leave me a comment telling me what idea you would suggest in June’s “suggest a design” area. Your idea should be creative (not something that’s already on her list) but it should also be something you’d actually want to buy!
Once you’ve completed the required entry, you can get one extra entry each for doing any of the following things. Once you’ve done them, leave me a single comment letting me know how many entries you get and including links to proof that you did them (so a link to the Twitter post or your FB page, for example):
- Like Crochet Concupiscence on Facebook.
- Like Planet June on Facebook.
- Suivez me on Pinterest.
- Suivez June on Pinterest.
- Add either of the pictures in the post to Pinterest. Your Pin should link back to this post.
- Tweet this giveaway. Include a link to this post and a shoutout to @planetjune and @crochetblogger.
- Follow the Planet June blog. Here’s the link to her feed.
- Sign up for the Crochet Concupiscence email newsletter.
This giveaway is open immediately. It closes on Saturday, Juin 23 at noon PST. The winner will be selected at random. I will announce the winner on the blog on Sunday afternoon.