Drumroll please … The winner of the 2012 award for the best business transparency from a crochet blogger is:
* June Gilbank of Planet June *
Crochet Business Transparency
Today’s Awesome Crochet Blog Award was a bit of a tough one to name even though I knew exactly what I was trying to define. This award is for a crochet designer / maker who uses their blog to provide us with insight into the inner workings of their business in a way that allows us as readers to learn from the ups and downs of that business. By offering transparency in their work the blogger offers great help to others in the crochet industry, including those to emerge in years to come, which I think is a very valuable service to offer. This transparency also increases the maker’s credibility and lets us get to know her even better, which are some excellent bonuses!
About The Winner
June Gilbank describes herself well on her own website, saying she is a “crochet pattern designer, craft book author, multi-crafter, animal lover, technical writer and web geek.” She is the author of The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Amigurumi and it is her amigurumi work that people probably know best. She has done some great series of patrones including her ami dogs series, her crochet dinosaurs and her cactus series. June also designs some wearables and accessories, which I happen to love best personally.
3 Reasons The Winner Won
There are several crochet designers / makers who use their blogs to give us insight into the crochet business. I had the list whittled down to a few of the best and ultimately chose June because:
- I love her crowdsourced commissions model, which she has been very open about as it has developed. It’s an innovative way to make a fair living as a crochet pattern designer. Since it’s innovative, it had some bumps in the road and June was very open about those on her blog as she tweaked things to make the best process possible. This is a great model for other designers and her openness increases the options for being successful in doing something similar.
- June shares some of her design process in her posts. Por ejemplo, in her post about her giant panda crochet pattern she shared a few of the design struggles she had and how she worked them out.
- Her monthly updates keep us in the loop about her work. At the end of the month June does a post telling us the important things that have happened and various news going on in her crafty life. These updates are insightful and share tidbits of personal information mingled with business news to offer transparency in business that is also relatable.
What Is This Crochet Blog Award?
Not sure what this award is all about? It’s one of my annual crochet blogger awards, given out on this blog every day each December. Learn all about it here.
Lectura adicional ...
- 2013 Impresionante Premios Crochet Blog: Favorite Quirky Blogger
- 2013 Impresionante Premios Crochet Blog: Los mejores modelos del ganchillo libre
- 2013 Impresionante Premios Crochet Blog: Los mejores comentarios del ganchillo de libros
- 2013 Impresionante Premios Crochet Blog: Mejor ganchillo Diseño de Información
- 2013 Impresionante Premios Crochet Blog: Mejores Links ganchillo