“I just finished reading your book and enjoyed it very much. The only story I could not read was Em’s story. It is too close to my present situation. My husband lost his job and is continuing to look. Getting laid off was very hard on both us because we are too young to retire and too old to start over. In addition, I am legally blind and profoundly hearing impaired and felt totally helpless. I can’t work and if we lose everything cause we can’t find a job, I can’t do anything about that either. Who in the world would hire a deaf/blind person when a normal person couldn’t find a job? All I did was crochet, cry and pray. The crying got so bad that eventually that was all I did and began to really get down about things. Ruminating about everything. My husband made a comment to me that he was extremely concerned about my being down all the time. He said, “You are down and down all the time.” I came to the conclusion that he didn’t need me in a mess. I already had two crochet projects going and decided to up the ante on the crocheting. Now while my husband is busy looking for work, I am busy crocheting. Sometimes I crochet till my hands hurt but I am not crying. I can even laugh. So my mantra now is ‘we’re going to get a job, we’re going to get a job. Crochet and pray, pray and crochet. But I am not crying. The other benefit is, that even if I lose all my vision and all my hearing, I can still crochet.”
- Crochet helps break the negative cycle of rumination that is common in depression.
- Crochet gives you a break so that you can become your calmer, better self.
- Crochet is something that you can do for yourself when you can’t really do anything else.
- Crochet helps you feel productive and useful even when you are struggling with impairments.
- Crochet helps you to find your own center so that you can be a stronger person for those in your life who need you!
Terry’s Story Reminds Me Of …
Thanks for sharing your story Terry! If anyone else has a story they would like to share, please feel free to use the contact form on this site to send it to me!