Crochet may be an old art form but that doesn’t mean that it’s out of date. Today’s crochet artists use the hottest technology, including apps on their smartphones, iPods and tablets, to improve their crochet experience. Looking for a crochet, craft or yarn app? Start here!
CROCHET SPECIFIC APPS
Some of these apps include information related to other needle arts but they all have an emphasis on crochet:
- CraftVideo: Πλέκω. This iPhone app has 20+ crochet tutorials in video format to assist you in learning to crochet. It’s good for beginners and for refreshing on the basics of crochet. It has an in-app chat option for people who are interested in communicating with a wider crochet community. It’s $1.99 on iTunes.
- Crochet Cards. This free Android app lets you store and tag your crochet projects (with or without images) so that you can keep them organized, search through them, κλπ..
- Ewe Stash. “Ewe Stash is an easy-to-use iPhone app that helps in the management of yarn stash, δηλαδή, all the materials most fiber artists already have in their studios. Sorting tabs quickly re-sort and re-group stash items. Each sorting view arranges the items in a manner that makes sense of a stash at a glance.” (πηγή)
- Stitch Stash. This is another iPhone app that allows you to organize your projects and the items that you have available for projects. You can track your yarn and hooks as well as your projects. It’s currently $0.99 in the iTunes store.
- Knitting and Crocheting HD (pictured above). Αυτό $4.99 iPad app is great for people who are learning basic crocheting and knitting. It has basic crochet instructions for various stitches.
- Easy Stitch 1.0. This iPhone app is designed to make it simple for anyone to learn how to crochet, knit or embroider. If you already know how to crochet but want to explore another needle art then it may be useful. Or it’s a good app to recommend to someone who doesn’t know how to crochet yet.
- StitchMinder. I have heard good things about this iPhone app which helps you to count rows when creating a crochet project.
- County. This is a free Android app that is similar to StitchMinder.
- Crochet Course. Αυτό $2.99 iPhone app provides lessons on how to crochet. It’s useful for beginners but also has more advanced stitch lessons as well.
- HandiCraft. This is a knitting and crochet instructional app for the iPad. “Patterns, Tools, Resources and Lessons all at your fingertips offering full coverage without the need for an Internet connection.”
- Bead Calculator: This app helps you figure out how many beads you need to string for a crocheted necklace.
- The Crochet Dude. This popular crochet blogger shares his blog posts, Tweets and videos in one place with this iPhone app.
CRAFT APPS APPEALING TO CROCHET LOVERS
Crochet folks love their craft sites and the apps related to them:
- Etsy Addict. This iPhone app is for crochet lovers who are obsessed with Etsy!
- Ravelry iPhone app. It’s not ready yet but it’s being worked on! One thing to note is that there is a lot of various technology available through this site including various apps. Για παράδειγμα, Tales of a Techno Hooker recently aptly described how to open NexStitch crochet patterns on your iPad via Ravelry.
- FamilyFun’s Craft Finder App. I haven’t tested this app but from what I know it’s a general app for finding crafts based on skill level etc. I don’t know for sure that it has crochet-specific crafts in it. It’s for iPhone and iPad.
Looking for an app to help you find, track and enjoy the yarn for your crochet projects? Here aer some yarn apps:
- Lion Brand. This major yarn seller has an iPhone app for finding yarn, searching patterns and locating stores that sell the brand’s yarn.
- Red Heart. This affordable yarn brand has an app that provides, πρότυπα, videos and product information.
- Yarn Shopper. This Android app “helps you see how many skeins of yarn you’ll need and how much you’ll pay for your project.”
- Jo-Ann App. A lot of people get their yarn from Jo-Ann. This is an app to improve your shopping experience at this store.
- Yarnphone, promoted by Ravelry. This service helps you to find yarn stores in your local area. It’s a web-based site, not actually an app, but it’s optimized for use on the iPhone specifically.
- Yarn U. This iPhone app reportedly has images and information for 100+ yarn types. It is basically like porn for people who are obsessed with yarn and yarn-based crafts.
- iLocate Wool and Yarn. “iLocate is a comprehensive searchable database for all the Wool & Yarn locations whereever you are with contact info, directions, and so much more – all at the touch of a button.”
- iSpinToolKit. This is an app to help people who spin their own yarn! What a cool idea.
CROCHET BOOK APPS
Want to read about crochet on your smartphone? Here are some crochet book apps:
- All About Crochet. This ebook is unique because it’s an app for the Palm WebOS. Most apps these days are for Android and iPhone users.
- Crocheting Made Easy. This low cost Android app is a crochet book. It has information on crochet for beginners and includes a history of crochet.