UPDATE: Crochet Saved My Life now has its own dedicated website here. You can learn all about the book, see the latest news, read reviews and more.
Want to read my articles about crochet health? Check here.
Cover Photo by Julie Michelle
Crochet saves lives. It saved mine.
About the Book
In the worst throes of depression I found myself sobbing on the bathroom floor, the tip of a kitchen knife pointed into my wrist. I was aching to break the flesh and bring the pain to an end. Through sheer force of will, I pried my own desperate hands open and replaced the knife with a crochet hook. Then I crocheted to save my life.
In this book, you will get to know me through my story of depression and healing. And you will get to know other women as well. You will meet Aurore who crochets to stay in touch with reality as she deals with ongoing psychiatric hallucinations. You will meet Laurie who made a new life with crochet after years of a life filled with abuse. You will meet Tammy whose crochet helps her with the ups and downs of living with Chronic Lyme Disease. You will meet Liza who crochets through the anxiety of having temporary bouts of blindness caused by an undiagnosed health condition.
The two dozen women whose stories are shared in this book are the women who hook to heal. We are not alone. Studies shows that crocheters are numerous; research and anecdotal evidence show that people of all ages, from all walks of life, with all types of health conditions may find healing through their hooks and yarn. Join us on our journey.
The Women Who Shared Their Stories
Here are some of the truths these women tell:
- “When I crochet I don’t think about how my body is now broken; I think about how I can create something beautiful and useful with my hook and either yarn or thread.” -Vicki
- “When I’m anxious, I feel like a hollow hull. Crocheting helps fill up the void.” – Aurore
- “I couldn’t pay for therapy, but a few balls of crochet thread cost less than $20 and provided me with many hours of crochet.” – M.K.
- “The feeling of the yarn and the rhythmic motions produced by crocheting are very quieting and help me regroup, recharge and become reconnected to my inner self amidst turmoil and confusion.” – Aimee
- “Crochet helps me put my pain on the back burner for a while. It takes my focus away from how I’m feeling and puts it in a more productive place”. – Shelli
Share Your Story
- Write your story the way you want it to appear on the blog.
- Email it to me using my contact page.
- If you want to be anonymous or use a pseudonym instead of your real name, make sure that you say that.
- If you want people to be able to contact you through a website or email, make sure you include that information.
- Be aware that it may take a little while for me to review and post your story on the blog.
Order Your Copy!
Note to Wholesalers: Crochet Saved My Life is available through distributors like Ingram. It is also sold through Amazon’s CreateSpace page and you can use their Direct Reseller Program to get the wholesale rates through that channel.
Commissions: The author is intersted in working with bookstores, yarn stores and crafters with booths at various events and will consider placing this title on commission. Contact her for more information.
Kathryn is currently available for interviews and guest posts. Contact her here to ask questions or to request her digital media kit for this title.
Join my mailing list to be kept updated about this book and other news from the blog.