This week I was thankful for many, many things and one of those things was the terrific crochet blogging community that I get to be a part of. Here’s my roundup of the best posts of the week from that community.
Wow – an entire city is being yarnbombed. Streetcolor forklarer: “marts 2013 the entire port city of Genova will be yarnbombed or as they say in Italy “bombarded with yarn” . The city has set up more than a hundred different locations for people to meet and knit - including libraries, senior homes civil service buildings, youth organizations and even a prison.”
Hæklet Nyheder, Reviews, Interviews and Thoughts
- Hairpin Lace Trend. Stitch Story shared that hairpin lace seems to be a fashion trend right now in Saudi Arabia.
- Chanel Cape Revealed. Crochet designer Ellen Gormley shared a short video of her design process for this new piece.
- Curvy Girl Hæklet anmeldelse. Crochet designer Marty Miller shares her thoughts on this book by Mary Beth Temple that came out a few months ago.
- On Ergonomic Crochet Hooks. @FreshStitches discusses what they are, some of the different styles and whether or not you need one. She mentions that hand pain is one reason people choosen ergonomic hooks. Aberrant Crochet also shared thoughts on ergonomic hooks this week in a video post with lots of great info about crocheters’ hænder.
- Crocheting with Mismatched Yarns. About.com Crochet shared a question from the past with an update with thoughts on using completely mismatched yarns in a project.
- Interview with Rohn Strong. Lion Brand interviewed this crochet and knitwear designer.
- All About Tunisian Crochet. Cat over at Craftsy shares a lot about this craft. If you enjoy tunisian crochet you might like the free Tunisian cowl pattern over on One Yarn After Another this week.
Beautiful Crochet Work
Jeg tilbeder dette textured owl blanket, pattern not yet available, that was being tested by @caseyplusthree
- How to Turn Your Crochet Sweater into a Pullover. Linda Permann did this with the Saturn Sweater in Sammenflette Hæklet Efterår 2012 and the CrochetMe blog shares some tips from her.
- How to Surface Crochet. A video tutorial over on the Moogly blog.
- How to Hold Your Crochet Hook. A video instructional over on Aberrant Crochet.
- How to Make a Ripple Straight. Little Tin Bird shares a tutorial for working around a ripple to make it straight (for eksempel, to create the squared off edge for a ripple blanket).
- How to Bobble Stitch. This is one of my favorite stitches. The tutorial is from Stacey @freshstitches.
- Turn a Square into a Star. A crochet pattern over on Sew Ritzy Ritzy. Adoring it!
- T-shirt Yarn Bag and Purse. This is a free crochet pattern for two different matching bags that’s on The Spotlight website but I found it via The Royal Sisters who made it using Moda Vera, a T-shirt yarn.
- Crocheted Starburst Baby Blanket Pattern. Beautiful free pattern from @creativejmom. Crochet baby blankets make great Christmas presents!
- Crochet Snowflake Pattern. Speaking of Christmas, there are a lot of patterns coming out now for holiday home decor and gift wrapping, like this free crochet pattern from Lazy Hobbyhopper.
- Christmas Tree Decoration Tutorial. A free pattern over at Little Woolie for a textured decoration.
- Vertical Stripes Newborn Crochet Beanie. Alli Crafts always shares cute free crochet patterns for newborn hats.
- Sunset Slouchy Hat. A free crochet teen/adult hat pattern over on Calleigh’s Clips.
I loved that Cami of Art, Ligesom Brød said this week:
“One of the things I really love about crochet is how it makes me føler. I love the entire process of creating something unique and useful. It may sound funny, but it actually makes me feel powerful!”
Crochet Chat Podcast. Another great episode from @freshstitches and this one is about the LYS where Stacey tells us about what a good yarn store should be like and how to comfortably enter one as a newbie.
I’m curious about the two cashmere yarns recommended in WEBS gift guide for knitters and crocheters – especially the washable cashmere!
Information on how to make one of these crochet singing birds yourself is available on Instructables.
Andre Crafty Ting
- Congrats to Twinkie Chan who has opened her first online store called Yummy You.
- Fox’s Lane shared fun photos of alpaca shearing season as they get started developing their own wool yarn. Elsker det!
- Craftys shared social media tips for indie makers and designers.
- OMG Heart gives some love to Kollabara, a new online craft community you may want to check out if you haven’t already.
Og nogle særlig tak
- Gwen af Hæklet World for at gøre en positiv anmeldelse af Hæklet reddede mit liv i Talking Hæklet Nyhedsbrev.
- Sibel Hodge for featuring my guest post on skrivning, crafting og sundhed.
- Mixed Media Artist for reviewing Hæklet reddede mit liv.
- Marie for mentioning min post om at vælge ikke at gøre YOP i år i hendes indlæg om samme emne.
- Flag Kronblade og picoter who shared some tough things on her blog this week and mentioned that she’d thought of Crochet Saved My Life and the benefits of crafting during this time.
Glad Thanksgiving, glad weekend, happy reading!