Knots of Love has managed to meet some amazing milestones recently. Let’s take a look at what this organization is all about, what their big numbers are and how you can crochet to help.
Knots of Love
Knots of Love is a charity that donates handmade knit and crochet chemo caps to people who are going through cancer treatment.
From their site:
“Our goal is to warm the hearts and heads of those experiencing traumatic hair loss while battling cancer and other life threatening illnesses. We do this by continuously sending care packages of free hand made caps to treatment centers and hospitals around the country.”
A recent press release revealed two huge milestones that Knots of Love was proud to meet this year:
- 100,000 caps donated! This organization launched in 2007 and met the impressive milestone this year of donating more than 100,000 handmade caps to chemo patients.
- 5000 caps for vets. A smaller goal that was met was the goal of donating 5000 caps to VA hospitals this year. They added 67 VA hospitals to their donation roster.
- There are more than 1000 Knots of Love volunteers.
- Knots of Love volunteers are knitting / crocheting more than 3000 caps per month.
- Donations go to all 50 states plus some other locations around the world.
- Donations go to more than 350 treatment centers, hospitals and oncology offices.
Crochet to Help
Want to help? Check out the guidelines for donating a cape which explains the right type of yarn and patterns to use for making a cap for a chemo patient. (For eksempel, organic cotton yarn is good and see-through patterns are not.) In addition to the general feel good experience of making a crochet donation, you’ll receive a personal phone call thanking you for your crochet efforts and letting you know specifically where your crochet creation was sent. If you can’t take the time to crochet a cap right now (although really, how long would a cap take?!) then there are many other ways you can donate including cash and yarn donations.