Of all of the hundreds of crochet blog posts I read this week, these were the very best and the ones I think you might like!
Stacey of Fresh Stitches has launched a crocheters’ kit club. She explains: “when you sign up for the FreshStitches kit club, you’ll receive an exciting, exclusive kit every other month for a period of 6 months (that’s 3 kits, total).” What’s in the kit? An original FreshStitches crochet stuffed animal pattern, the yarn and notions necessary to complete the project, a note explaining the inspiration for the piece, “exclusive pattern notes or technique video” plus something special each time to keep you curious. You must sign up by 11/30/12 to be a part of this first 6 month kit club session.
Smart Crochet Articles
- In Honor Of Grandma. Kristin Nichols did a beautiful post in memory of her grandmother, saying in part: “Gram was an amazing quilter, embroiderer, gardener, sewer, baker, and cook but what I remember her doing the most was crocheting.”
- About the Winnie and Otis Baby Blankets. Robyn Chachula shares the history behind two crochet blanket patterns.
- Reading Crochet Charts Expands Your World. Stacey of FreshStitches makes a good case for learning to read crochet charts, something I’m personally not at all good at.
- Making Crochet Tutorials. Lucy of Attic 24 shared some insight into her process of making crochet tutorials and how much she enjoys doing this.
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Tunisian Crochet Review. Marie of Underground Crafter is now doing crochet book reviews on CGOA Now and she’s reviewed this book by @crochetkim.
- Why Crochet? Cami has joined the @CrochetSpot team and shared her four reasons that she loves to crochet.
Beautiful Crochet Work
Lucy of Attic24 was nervous about crocheting a hat for herself but clearly she did a great job!
Le Monde de Sucrette is playing with moss stitch
@PurlBee is selling kits to make it easy for others to replicate this beautiful rainbow squares blanket
Crochet dress from artist Xenobia Bailey
A La Sascha created this great crochet rhino
How to Crochet
- How to Crochet the dc v-stitch. @newstitchaday covers this stitch, one of my favorites.
- How to Crochet Front and Back Post Stitch. Video tutorials from Poetry in Yarn.
- How to Wet Block Knit and Crochet. A photo-rich instrucitonal post from @planetjune.
- How to Crochet Cables. I adore crocheted cables so I’m loving this article/pattern by @CrochetKitten.
Top Crochet Patterns
- Free Crochet Mandala Pattern. A Creative Being shares her pattern for a standard 12 round crochet mandala.
- Rainbow Tea Cozy. A free crochet pattern from Mom with a Hook.
- Sock Monkey. A free crochet pattern for a stuffed toy over on BebeRouge.
- Granny Square Guitar Strap. A free crochet tutorial from Tangled Happy.
- Mini Crochet Stockings. Vickie Howell offers a free pattern for a mini, granny striped stocking “that’ll add a little POP to any present!”
- Crochet Imps. An adorable new pattern for sale in the Etsy shop by Annaboo.
- Sybil Cowl. A new crochet cowl pattern for sale from @kpwerker.
- Wool Yarn Wins. In the KnitPicks voting election between cotton yarn and wool yarn wool was the clear winner.
- All About Alpaca. Lion Brand shares some basics about alpaca yarn, which is one of my favorite yarns.
Videos of the Week
How to Style a Cowl, via Lion Brand
Other Crafty Things
- CraftSocial Chat Transcript. I recently participated in the CraftSocial monthly Twitter chat hostedby @penguintrax and @thezenofmaking with guest speaker @kpwerker and they’ve shared the transcript of that chat, which was all about productivity.
- Top 5 Tips for Growing a Successful Online Handmade Business. I saw this smart post by Chichidee Handmade after popping over to her blog from a Mollie Makes post featuring her Top 8 Tips for Improving Your Craft Studio.
- Sandy Hurricane Relief for Crafters. Jimmy Beans Wool did a roundup of ten options for donating to Hurricane Sandy as a crochter or knitter including patterns where the proceeds go to Sandy relief and general places that accept handmade donations.
Happy weekend and happy reading!