I think I have a crochet blog addiction. I was on vacation for two weeks and it was this rare, weird, REAL vacation where I didn’t spend much time online and didn’t read through my blog reader and didn’t do a bunch of social networking and … well, lived out there in the real world.
It was my intention to come home, hit “mark all as read” on everything in my blog reader and start fresh. But alas, I could not do it. I just had to see what everyone was sharing while I was away. So I settled in for hours and hours and caught up. And I had to share my favorite links with you from the posts that people had put up while I was away. Here they are …
Smart Crochet Words
- From Myrtle and Eunice … On process vs product and the healing of crafting. Loved this phrase: “Every day for half an hour, I’ve tied one end securely to a skerrick of sanity and stitch by stitch, woven a bit of headspace back into my world.”
- Laughing and Learning at the Knit and Crochet Show. Lion Brand catches us up on their experience at the Reno show. Designing Vashti also did a Reno roundup and it was a cool twist on that because it was done in Tweets. And of course CLF caught us up on the trip as well.
- Crocheting with Color. Crochet Me did a post about color inspired by color master Kathy Merrick.
- What is Filet Crochet? Annemarie tells us – and she should know since she just came out with a book on it!
- 3 Ways to Create Awesome Color Effects with Amazing Yarn. Lion Brand has some good color tips for both knitters and crocheters.
Beautiful Things People are Crocheting
Bunny Mummy always makes cute, colorful stuff but nobody on her blog could guess what this was – it’s a crochet thread dispenser! You can get instructions to make one on her site.
Bearpaw is continuing to work on the neverending crochet blanket of African flowers
Adorableness from Eu Que Fiz
Nero’s Post and Patch made a really terrific set of patchwork satchels with crochet appliques. Love them!
Little Tin Bird has made a new crochet blanket for her baby pram; and congrats on welcoming Tiny Tin Bird into the world!
Pardon My Chaos is working on this wonderful crochet tank top design
- Interview with Caitlin Ffrench. @PrincessAnimal interviewed Caitlin Ffrench, the designer behind Emma’s Blanket on the show Once Upon a Time. She’s a knitter and a crocheter and a natural dye yarnie and a fun person to read an interview about!
- Red Scarf Project. Vickie Howell interviews Lynn Davis on the Bernat blog about The Red Scarf Project, a charity accepting knit and crochet donations for orphans/ foster kids.
Crochet How Tos
- Basics of Bavarian Crochet – in rows and in rounds. Crochet Kitten did this two-part post on Bavarian crochet.
- Ultimate Finish for Amigurumi. @planetjune video tutorial
- How to Make Standing Stitches. Do you know what they are? Do you use them? Yarn round hook shares the info.
- How to Crochet Crocodile Stitch. Thanks @CrochetSpot
- How to Crochet the Embossed Pocket Stitch. Unique stitch with video tutorial from @newstitchaday
- How to Bridge a Gap when you Crochet Rounds. I’m always impressed by the really specific problems that many people solve with their crochet tips. This one is from Speckless.
- Diagonal Cotton Dishtowel with Ring. Love this new free crochet pattern from My Recycled Bags because of the smart built-in ring holder!
- Frosty Windows Crochet Scarf. @planetjune has added another donationware accessories pattern to her line. Cute!
- Easy Cushion Covers. Elisabeth Andree offers this fun new free crochet tutorial.
- Fingerless Crochet Mitts with Faux Cables. Great free crochet pattern for a cabled look without cabling.
- Granny Square Crochet Belt. A fun cute crochet tutorial, free from My Rose Valley.
- Google Eyed Monster Hat. This is one of the cutest creature hats I’ve seen in a long time and it’s a free crochet pattern from Plus 3 Crochet.
Darn Good Yarn shares their new Hand Dyed Pulled Silk Sari Yarn:
Plymouth Yarn showed off some new neon colored yarn.
Sunshine’s Creations shared how to spin milkweed fluff – it’s poisonous so you have to be careful.
- How to Felt Over a Bar of Soap. It’s not crochet per se but what a fun crafty thing to try. Found this via CraftGossip.
- I have to say that I’m sad to see Crochet with Raymond closing up shop as a blog. There are amazing things in the archives there, though, that I’m sure will continue to be popular and I look forward to seeing what this crafty blogger does next when she’s ready to share.
- Twinkie Chan was super awesome and did a giveaway of my book (Crochet Saved My Life) … it was so great to see the amazing comments some people left about crochet and health.
- @sisterdiane of CraftyPod interviewed me in my very first podcast interview about Crochet Saved My Life. You can listen to it for free for 30 days thanks to sponsorship from the Craft Yarn Council.
- CraftGirl78 shared my link to the article I did on crochet artist Donna Rutledge-Okoro.
- Belle Monde Handmade mentioned my article about the amazing Susie Hewer who can both knit and crochet while running marathons
- Stacey of Fresh Stitches for featuring my guest post on crochet mindfulness
- OOAK blogged about winning one of my crochet books
- Crochet Savvy for featuring an article about me in this month’s issue
- Rowan did a lovely article about my new book as did Depression Getaway
- Postpartum Progress wrote about Crochet Saved My Life and shared Rachel’s story from the book