Of all of the posts I read this week in the crochet blogging world, these were the ones I loved the most. Check them out now if you missed them the first time around.
Giveaway: JD @CraftGossip is giving away a copy of a unique crochet pattern book by Thata Pang that isn’t available in the US. Deadline to enter (via comment on Craft Gossip) is 10/31.
Smart Crochet Words
- What I Learned About Crochet from a Roomful of Knitters. Great article to read from Kim Werker who did a talk about crochet to a room full of people who mostly knew how to crochet but wouldn’t typically crochet the same type of projects they knit. Super interesting. And there was actually a related post this week over on KnitPicks from a knitter learning to crochet.
- Why are Crochet Patterns Wordy? Poetry in Yarn has some smart thoughts about the phrasing choices on crochet patterns.
- Vintage Crochet Influences Today’s Designs. It’s true and this is a great article about it from Crochet Crusader.
- 3 Tips for Thread Crochet. Some good tips from @CrochetMe. Are you a threadie?
- CFS Crochet. Crochet Addict Susan shares her story in a three-part post series about crocheting through Chronic Fatigue Syndrome on the Mom with a Hook blog.
- Mary Beth Temple on Designing. @freshstitches talks with this crochet designer on the CrochetChat podcast
Beautiful Crochet Works
Little Tin Bird works magic with granny squares; lots of terrific photos of this finished piece on her blog.
JJCrochet finished up a terrific crochet ripple blanket; again lots more photos on her blog.
Sew Ritzy Ritzy crocheted this layered star patchwork potholder
Creative Carmelina has created beauty again, this time doing lovely acrylic paintings that are edged in natural-hued crochet.
Crochet “How To”
- How to Crochet the Textured Ripple Stitch. @newstitchaday explains that “this crochet pattern creates a textured fabric through the use of the front post triple crochet.”
- How to DC In the Round. With video tutorial from Moogly.
New Crochet Patterns
- Ta-Tas Bear. CrochetKitten has republished a free crochet pattern from a few years ago for an adorable little crochet bear. Could be a cute one to add to your Christmas makes list.
- Easy Crochet Cowl Pattern. I love crocheting cowl and think this free pattern from Just-Do is a nice one.
- Digging Your Own Grave. A free Halloween-themed crochet pattern from Croshame.
- 10 More Free Crochet Owl Patterns. A roundup of fun free patterns from Moogly.
- Crochet Pine Cone Collection. Super cute new set of six crochet pine cone patterns available for sale from @planetjune. Nice project for fall home decorating or even to make for this year’s Christmas tree.
- Crochet Canned Goods Patterns. Crochet n Play explains, “I’ve redesigned my Canned Goods pattern by making the items a little smaller so that they are the right size for play kitchens and grocery stores.” The crochet patterns are available in the seller’s Etsy store.
- Meet the Designer: Alice Merlino. Stitch and Unwind introduces us to knitter and crocheter @futuregirlcraft.
- Interview of Stacey Trock. Martingale’s Adriana interviews Crocheted Softies author and maker @freshstitches
- Knot by Gran’ma. I enjoy the unique crochet monster dolls of this artist so it was fun to read an interview with her by Carrie Harris.
- Rohn Strong interview. I swear everyone is interviewing this guy right now … which is terrific. This interview is from Knit Picks.
- Image Only Interview of Nadir of Stitch Sense Designs. I’m sure I’ve already mentioned that I love the image-only interviews by @sisterdiane but I’ll mention it again. If you missed it she did one of these interviews with me a bit ago.
- Hispanic Heritage Month Roundup. Marie of Underground Crafter did a series of interviews for Hispanic Heritage Month and if you missed any you can catch the links in this roundup. The final interview, which went live this week, was of Maru Minetto.
Crochet Video of the Week
Crochet artist Mandy Greer talks about her process. This video is a few years old but I’m enjoying revisting this week.
- Mini Lion Brand Shop Tour. @donnasdecembers takes us with her to check out the new mini Lion Brand shop opened in an AC Moore store.
- Skein, Ball, Hank? @freshstitches demystifies the various names of how yarn is bundled for us, including a few terms I didn’t know myself.
- Ruffle Yarn Review. @planetjune looks at novelty ruffle yarns for us
- Creative Altruism. Jafabrit discusses craft activism and how it doesn’t have to mean being loud or joining a group; it can just mean recycling plastic bags with crochet and knitting or sharing art in a public space including a blog.
- Crochet Boutique. Smile and Wave reviewed this crochet book that’s been making the blog rounds and is full of goodness.
- Adding Value to Handmade. This was a TweetChat that I participated in; the link is to a roundup of what we all had to say.
- Mom With a Hook for doing a book giveaway of Crochet Saved My Life. She also did a review. She also courageously shared her own crochet health story.
- Marinke of A Creative Being for writing about her experience of sharing her story for the writing of Crochet Saved My Life.
- Pardon My Chaos for listing Crochet Concupiscence in a terrific roundup of great blogs.
- Marie of Underground Crafter for making a mention of my post about how welcoming knitters can be to crocheters.
- Wired Yarn for highlighting my article on 20 Inspiring Ideas for Combining Crochet and Fabric.
- CraftGirl78 for including my post on artist Jerry Bleem in her roundup of great inspiring links this week
- Jennifer Lafferty who did two different, unique interviews with me about Crochet Saved My Life; one for Goodreads and one for Examiner
Have a terrific rest of your weekend. Happy reading!