You might have missed these posts during the week but if you’re a crochet lover then you shouldn’t have! That’s why I’ve rounded them up for you here.
Crafty business professionals Kim Werker and Tara Swiger are hosting an online workshop next week that looks really cool. It’s called More Than One Thing: Embracing Your Multitudes. Kim did a great post about it this week, explaining why she has chosen not to be an expert in one field but instead to follow different passions wherever they may take her. I think that this is a brave and wonderful thing to do!
And a Request
I noticed that Bridge and Beyond is currently asking for more donations of handmade knit and crochet items to help the homeless get through the winter. If you enjoy crocheting for charity, consider this option.
Smart Crochet Words
- Neighbors Helping Neighbors. This is an article about Warm Up America which accepts donations of crochet and knit squares. This article, which comes with some free patterns, is on the site for Crochet 1-2-3, the new magazine that just came out this week.
- Seaming Crochet. Toni Rexroat of CrochetMe shares an intro to “preparing your crochet for good seams” – especially important if you like to crochet garments that aren’t worked just top-down!
- Podcast Talk with Rohn Strong. @FreshStitches talks with this male crochet designer who crochets items for men.
- Review: 75 Floral Blocks to Crochet. I’ve seen several reviews of this crochet pattern book lately. This one is via Happy Together.
- Review: Crochet Tool Organizer. Repeat Crafter Me reviews the cute crochet hook organizer from Jordana Paige.
- Review: Amigurumi on the Go. Stitch This! tells us about this pattern book by Ana Paula Rímoli that features really super cute crochet bags inspired by amigurumi animals.
- Review: Custom Crocheted Sweaters. Moogly gives a good review of this book by Dora Ohrenstein, which I have also previously reviewed.
- Review: Crochet Boutique. Lots of people have been reviewing this new book lately (and I’ll have my own review coming soon). Thought I’d share this one from Violet Bella but also wanted to link to one from KnitPurlGurl that’s a video format review.
Beautiful Items People Crocheted
Things Bright finished this great retro-style chevron afghan
Men Crochet 2 made this crochet jellyfish
IDA Interior Lifestyle has released a new crochet collection of accessories and home decor (through Etsy) including these lampshades for beautifying basic IKEA lamps.
This crochet dog by Casey of Plus Three Crochet must be the best use of stashbusting granny squares I’ve ever seen!
This crochet teacup from Creative Carmelina just might be the cutest crochet thing I’ve seen in awhile. She also shows new crochet bowls in this post.
- Interview with Twinkie Chan. Chickiedee did an interview with this fun crochet designer that includes a look into her studio space. Twinkie was a popular interview subject this week: Mollie Makes Interviews Twinkie Chan.
- Interview with Angele Lumiere. Marie of Underground Crafter interviews this crochet designer who has a Spanish/French bilingual blog. And one I didn’t know yet. Awesome. This is part of Marie’s Hispanic Heritage Month Interview Series.
How to Crochet
- How to Crochet Iris Stitch (Variation). Yarn Round Hook shares the instructions for this pretty stitch.
- How to Work the Picot Trellis Stitch. Another beautiful stitch described this time by @CrochetToday.
- How to Crochet the Peacock Fan Stitch. Instructions with video from @newstitchaday
- How to Felt (or Full) Your Piece. A primer on felting from Petals to Picots.
- How to Position Eyes on Amigurumi. Smart instructions from @planetjune
- Tip: Work Your Yarn From Both Ends of the Skein. @FreshStitches offers this smart tip
Best New Crochet Patterns
- Deeply Textured Toddler Hat. Love the brim and shape of this cute crochet pattern – free from Alli Crafts.
- Autumn Crochet Dishcloth Pattern. Easy but interesting free crochet pattern from Teresa Kasner.
- Crochet Beanie Tutorial. A free pattern for a cute women’s hat. It’s on a bilingual crochet blog but I saw the link via CraftGawker.
- Wiggle It Crochet Dishcloth and Trivet Set. Cute colorful free crochet pattern from Moogly.
- Rottweiler Crochet Pattern. The latest amigurumi dog in @planetjune’s little dogs series; pattern for sale through her site.
Best New Crochet Video
Other Stuff You Might Like
- Check out the Crochet Dragons. @FreshStitches recently hosted a dragon toy CAL. This post shows all of the terrific dragons people crocheted!
- YoKoo’s Chunky Crochet Accessories. Design Milk did a post about a knit accessories designer who makes these funky large-scale crochet chain jewelry items.
- Crochet Cowl Roundup. Italian crochet blog L’uncinetto di Franca shares lots of photos of pretty cowls.
- Podcast: Hiring Help for your Crafty Business. @sisterdiane of CraftyPod talks to crafty business owners Kelly McCants about this issue.
And Some Special Thanks
- To Nicole of Portland Examiner for interviewing me about my book. The interview was also mentioned on a blog about natural healing for mental health.
- To DreamWeaverArtsNCrafts for mentioning some of the posts from my 625 inspiring crochet things series on her blog this week. She used my post on “charities to crochet for” to help pick Project Linus as a charity to donate to.
- To Jafagirls for mentioning this blog and my new book this week. Awesome props from a great site!
- To Berroco Design Studio for mentioning my book, Crochet Saved My Life.
- To Bigunki, one of my favorite Spanish crochet blogs. I am so proud and grateful that one of my Spanish crochet blogging friends, Bigunki, is working through my book. I know it’s tough to read something that’s not in your first language and I feel really touched that she enjoys it enough to do that. I do eventually want to translate this book into other languages.
- To Positively Crochet for crediting me as having the scoop about the newest crochet magazine on the market
Have a great weekend everyone. Happy reading!