Here’s your crochet news and top posts from around the web this week:
Something To Learn About
Pinnable Business shared an important article about a Pinterest-clone called Spark that is using questionable practices that could damage the websites it’s taking content from. I had heard of Spark before and didn’t realize that what it was doing was harmful in this way – just wanted to spread the word!
Smart Crochet Words
- Interview with Twinkie Chan. Nicole Ramage of Examiner did an interview with the designer who offers some crochet advice.
- Why Gauge Swatches Lie: A Modern Fairytale. Poetry in Yarn shared this crochet fiction in Parts 1, 2 and 3
- Annie’s Acquires Knit and Crochet Now! The PBS craft show hosted by Brett Bara is now under Annie’s.
- One of a Kindness shared a story about how crochet helped her. Part of what she said was, “I got into crochet when I was working a very stressful, draining job. It was a great way to relax at the end of the day. A few hours every evening I was able to focus on the turns & twists of the hook, making one smooth stitch after another, watching a scarf or hat or purse grow from a pile of string to something recognizable in my hands.”
Beautiful Crochet Creations
Eclectic Me shared this buttoned crochet scarf. Click through to see how it looks when buttoned into an infinity scarf.
@caseyplusthree made this cute crochet cake topper for her parents’ 30th wedding anniversary. She used the crochet pattern for the birds from Lion Brand and the crochet heart pattern from @planetjune. Check out more cute cake toppers in my roundup of the best crochet cake toppers for DIY wedding cakes.
I love the boldness of this yellow crochet sweater that Sunshine’s Creations is working on!
Creative Carmelina made a beautiful crochet bookbag using autumn-inspired yarn; great “back to school” project
Crochet How Tos
- How to Wet Splice Two Yarn Ends Together. An option for joining from @websyarnstore
- How to Change Colors and Strand Yarn in Amigurumi Colorwork. From @freshstitches
- How to Crochet the Braided Lace Stitch. Terrific tutorial with video from @newstitchaday
Best New Crochet Patterns
- Feminine Flower Purse. This is a free crochet pattern on Crochetology
- Crochet Fall Wreath Pattern. Bookmark this free crochet pattern for fall, from Repeat Crafter Me
- Blooming Granny Square Pattern. This is a free pattern and video tutorial from @newstitchaday
- Free Crochet Dishcloth Pattern. Practice the extended double crochet stitch with this pattern from Crochet Cabana.
- Pammy Sue’s Sampler. What a great free crochet pattern for a beautiful blanket! It’s from Scotty’s Place.
- Stashbuster Crochet Scarf. Nice free pattern for using up your scrap yarn from Sarahndipities.
Best Video This Week
- 9 Tips for Organzing Your Crafting. When I saw this @lionbrandyarn post I asked my Twitter and G+ followers how important organization is to them in their crafting. The general response was that it’s important because creativity gets blocked when things are too messy.
- Structured Procrastination. Interesting creative idea shared by @whipup
- Peek Inside Lion Brand Studio. @thisiscarrie shares her experience of visiting the shop
And Some Special Thanks This Week
- Thanks to Laurie of CLF who did a review of Crochet Saved My Life that not only humbled me but also honored all of the wonderful women who shared their stories in this book
- Thanks to MK Carroll who had her story in Crochet Saved My Life and did a post recently about her experience
- Thanks to A Place for Writers and Ruminating in the Desert for doing some terrific author interviews of me!
- Thanks to Sunny Sanguinity for mentioning how my book giveaway inspired her to write this really beautiful post about her experience of depression and the things that worked for getting through it
- Thanks to Too Depressed, a great blog about dealing with depression, for publishing my guest post on using hands-on activities to help