Out of the hundreds of crochet-related blog posts that I read this week, I selected the best for you to check out. Here they are:
Sweet Georgia Yarns is accepting design submissions for Spring/ Summer 2013. Knit, crochet and handwoven design ideas are all welcome.
Smart Crochet Words
- Making a Sustainable Living in Pattern Design. @sisterdiane of Crafty Pod interviews @freshstitches in this podcast that’s free for thirty days thanks to sponsorship. Check it out! If you really get into the topic then you might want to follow up by checking out this week’s YarnCraft podcast (via @LionBrandYarn) which covers 10 tips for buying/ selling handmade items.
- Interview with Laurie of Crochet Liberation Front. @freshstitches also has a podcast and this week was great over there, too, with this CLF interview.
- Bead Crochet Jewelry Review and Interview. Crochet Mama’s blog features and in-depth review of this crochet book and an interview with the authors.
- Irish, Broomstick and Filet. @CrochetMe takes a brief look at three different types of crochet lace.
- The Do’s and Dont’s of Product Posts. Untangling Knots talks about how to write blog posts that showcase the craft projects you have for sale.
- Review: Crochet & Knit Visual Encyclopedias. @futuregirlcraft shares thoughts on these two books that are probably a must-have for crafting libraries.
- Review: Ultimate Crochet Bible. Crochet Cabana reviews this other great resource for crocheters.
- Run with the Wolves. The Bohemian Collective shared a great personal story of reading, barefoot crochet sandals and connecting with self and others. Not strictly a crochet post but great article and includes some photos of those cute crochet sandals.
Beautiful Things People Are Crocheting
Crochet Regency Hat from Cozy Things
Greedy for Colour did a great post juxtaposing legos and crochet flowers. This is her “bulldozed forest” from that post.
Cute crochet pinwheels spotted over at Spanish blog Las Teje y Maneje
Crochet How Tos
- How to Crochet Treble Crochet 3 Together. @crochetspot tutorial
- How to Crochet the Little Fan Stitch. @newstitchaday tutorial with video
- How to Work the Crocodile Stitch. Photo-rich tutorial from @crochettoday
- How to Sew and Hide Ends. @CrochetKitten shares this information for amigurumi makers.
Best New Crochet Patterns
- Rainbow Nesting Bowls Crochet Pattern. Seriously Daisies offers this free pattern that I found through Tangled Happy.
- 10 Free Scoodie Patterns. These hat + scarf patterns aren’t all new but they’re all together in one great roundup by Moogly.
- Land and Sea Baby Blanket Pattern. A new crochet pattern for sale from Kim Werker.
- Little Red Fingerless Gloves. This is a new pattern for sale by Dora O that you can learn about on the Jimmy Beans Wool blog. The explanation there makes it seem like a good one for challenging yourself to learn new skills on a small project.
- Top 10 Colors for Fall. @lionbrandyarn shares Pantone’s top fall picks and the yarns from their collection that are the best match
- FaveCrafts did a crafty face-off all last week where voters got to choose their favorite crafts with comments. The final showdown came down to knitting vs crochet. Crochet was the winner.
- Craftsy is now offering closed captioning for more than two dozen of their online craft classes.
- Crochet art in the subways. @crochettoday pointed out that some crochet art in the NYC subway systems is crochet-themed. Somehow I missed this when I did my recent roundup of New York crochet artists, although I did note that Xenobia Bailey is doing some new crochet subway art.
And Some Special Thanks This Week
- Thanks to Thornberry for a terrific review of Crochet Saved My Life! The book was also reviewed this week by Moogly.
- Thanks to Marie of Underground Crafter for her interview the author post
- Thanks to Whipup for featuring my guest post about How Crochet Saved My Life Came To Be
- Thanks to Sue @ SIBOL for mentioning my book, Crochet Saved My Life, on her blog as well as the SIBOL blog
- And Michelle Mach for pointing out in her review that a key message of the book is that you are not alone in what you’re going through!
- 2013 Awesome Crochet Blog Awards: Best Crochet Book Tour
- 2013 Awesome Crochet Blog Awards: Favorite Quirky Blogger
- 2013 Awesome Crochet Blog Awards: Best Free Crochet Patterns
- 2013 Awesome Crochet Blog Awards: Best Crochet Book Reviews
- 2013 Awesome Crochet Blog Awards: Best Crochet Design Information