If you missed these crochet blog posts throughout the week you’ll want to check them out now! The best posts of our craft from around the web:
Win 5000 feet of yarn and practice the Crocodile Stitch. There’s a creativity challenge and contest going on hosted by The Crochet Crowd. Entries accepted through September 30th. Learn more here.
Crochet and Health
I’m hosting a giveaway of my new book, Crochet Saved My Life. To enter you need to share your thoughts on craft as a healing tool on your blog (or Facebook if you don’t have a blog). There have been some amazing entries:
- Dani Does Doilies tells us how crochet helps her deal with family dementia.
- Love, Hope, Trust says crochet is good for her and for those around her.
- Amazon with a Hook shares how crochet helps with her multiple health conditions.
- Lizzie Kate shared, “Being on the autistic spectrum, there is a necessity to have repetitive action to calm down, zone out, get grounded, chillax. Crochet offers that repetition in a very socially acceptable way.”
Smart Crochet Words
- Front Loops, Back Loops, Both Loops. @planetjune has a smart detailed post, with photos and video, about crocheting through different loops.
- A Pigment of your Imagination. @CrochetMe shares information on how to choose and use color generators for designing your own projects.
- That Girl. @CrochetToday has a set of crochet items inspired by “That Girl”. This post shows how inspiration becomes products. Creative.
- Tween Finds Self-Esteem in Crochet. A Little Vintage shares a great story about how her eleven-year-old turned a negative school situation into a positive one with crochet.
- Review: Crochet in a Day for Baby. Cute Crochet Chat reviews this book by Candi Jensen of twenty adorable crochet patterns for babies.
Crochet Artists at Work
Several crochet artists have new work or new features about them this week:
New from Gooseflesh who says: “The ossedax (bone-eating snot flowers) collection is expanding.” Eek!
Crochet How Tos
- How to Embroider Amigrumi. This is the final installment of the great amigurumi basics series by CrochetKitten.
- How to Crochet the Triangles Lace Stitch. One of several good crochet tutorials this week from @newstitchaday.
- How to Crochet Inverse Stitches. @Crochetspot guide
- How to hdc around previous hdc. Mon Petit Violin shares this technique with photos.
Best New Crochet Patterns
- Crocheted Earrings Tutorial. I saw this free crochet tutorial from Seven Alive linked to thanks to @CraftGossip.
- Crochet Sea Otter Pattern. This is the newest crochet pattern available for purchase from Planet June.
- Desert Heat Buttoned Wrap. Super cute free crochet pattern from CraftyBegonia.
- Yarnbomb Art on Iceland Bus. Streetcolor shared this cool project. @CrochetToday covered this too. And for something else going on in Iceland, Brooklyn Tweed has shared a bunch of photos from the Icelandic Textile Museum.
- Knitting Reinvented: Mathematics, Feminism and Metal. I’ve seen a lot of articles in the past about crochet’s relationship to math but this one is about knitting. The nerd in me found it interesting.
- By Hand Magazine Release Date. This new magazine by Juniper Moon Farm, which I gave a small bit to support through Kickstarter, will be launching mid-October. I’m excited!
- CLF Changes Coming Soon. Are you a member of the CLF? I am! Laurie tells us in this post about some changes coming up there.
And Some Special Thanks This Week
- Thanks to Sarah London for featuring my guest post about Crochet Saved My Life
- Thanks to Crochetoholic for sharing my guest post on Why Every Hospital Should Have a Craft Room
- Thanks to Stitch and Unwind for sharing my guest post called Crochet: Just What the Doctor Ordered. I really appreciated all of the great comments that readers left here sharing their own stories of healing through crafting!
- Thanks to MadWhimsy for mentioning my book and sharing her true story of depression, anxiety and OCD and how crafting helped.