It’s time for a little bit of link love. Here were my favorite crochet blog posts from the week around the web:
Crocheted Jacaréa! That means crocheted alligator and I said it because there was fun news from artist Olek this week who crocheted a huge alligator playground as part of the SESC Arts Show 2012, a non-profit arts show across several venues that runs from July 19 to 29 in São Paulo, Brazil. There’s tons of photos from all around the web, but I like gallery over at Inhabitat. I also think this piece links together some fun inspirations that have been popular around the web lately. Consider:
- Everyone seems to be super in love lately with the crochet playgrounds of Toshiko Horiuchi Macadam who has been doing large scale playgrounds like this since the 1970s.
- Toshiko Horiuchi’s playgrounds are similar in many ways to the interactive net sculptures by Brazilian Ernesto Neto that are also recently popular
- And now Olek has crocheted an interactive playground in Neto’s home country of Brazil.
Smart Crochet Words
- Branch Out to New Crochet Techniques. @FreshStitches has a lot of smart, encouraging things to say as she tells us about the Unexpected Afghans crochet book by @crochetbyfaye. By the way, Fresh Stitches has a new newsletter.
- Contribute to the Whole. @creationsbycris shared a great story about the power of group crafting to give to others, to become part of the whole.
- All About Othman Ribatallah. Tapestry Crochet shares an update on this Moroccan crochet hats shop owner.
- Crochet Kimono and Ruana Shapes. Designing Vashti covered this great design topic in her newsletter and elaborated on it on her blog this week.
- Tool Butler Review. @kpwerker reviewed the Tool Butler by Jordana Paige, which is a hooks-and-notions carrying case that looks worth a second look
- Bicycle Crochet. @CrochetToday put together a roundup of bicycle-related crochet in celebration of Tour de France. If you like this you might also like my post of 5 Must-Have Crochet Items for Cyclists.
- Thinking Outside the Box with Vintage Crochet Patterns. A post from @CrochetMe. Toni Rexroat always has smart food for
- 10 Ideas that Might be Holding you Back in Your Crochet Journey. @crochetlibfront’s post should encourage you to celebrate moving forward in your crochet!
- Sharon Silverman’s Blog Tour Has Begun. Check out her new book, Crochet Scarves. Crochet Concupiscence is a stop on the tour in August.
Beautiful Crocheted Creations
I want to be a guest at the table of Petite Pimprenelle who crafted these cute crochet placemats to go with some adorable plates!
Cozy Things made this cute crochet top. The pattern is from the 2012 crochet issue of Vogue Knitting. Photo credit goes to Dean Johnson.
Apples and Pears finished this pretty blanket for her sister. Sis picked the colors and they weren’t the crafter’s favorite but she made it work with a stitch pattern that kept her interested in the piece.
I always love hexi blankets and this one from La Ventana Azul is no exception!
Helpful Crochet HowTos
- Become an Amigurumi Pro. @CrochetKitten started a six-part series covering all of the basics to take you from beginner to great at amigurumi crochet.
- How to Crochet The Cross Double Cross Stitch. @newstitchaday has really been coming through lately with great stitch instructions and video tutorials for both knitting and crochet. This one that they covered is actually one of my favorite crochet stitches. I also like a variation on it where you do a Ch 1 and leave a space between the two parts of the X for a more open design.
- How to Use Your Pinkie Finger to Tension Your Yarn. Quick and dirty crochet tip from @freshstitches
New Crochet Patterns
- Crocodile Stitch Clutch Purse. I adore this free crochet pattern from My Messy Life which I saw thanks to a post over on Tangled Happy.
- Crochet Starfish Pattern. A cute free crochet pattern from Little Treasures.
- Plarn Tape Measure Covers. A few weeks ago I highlighted the cute tape measure covers that seem to be making the Internet rounds these days. This week My Recycled Bags gives us a free crochet pattern for a plarn version. It’s a functional way to use up plastic bags and make a tape measure look cute at the same time.
- Waffle Baby Pullover. What a cute new crochet sweater design for sale from @crochetbyfaye.
- The Sheep(ish) Yarn Line is Moving Homes. Vickie Howell announced that Caron, home of her Sheep(ish) Yarh Line has joined the Spinrite family and she’ll be making a move within that family. She’s becoming the international spokesperson for Bernat (and her products will make the move with her). Congrats Vickie!
- New Yarn Trends from CHA. FaveCrafts has done several posts on the trends announced at CHA. In this post we learn about some of the new and trending yarns from various companies.
- 4 Reasons to Listen to YarnCraft. @lionbrandyarns provides some solid reasons to listen to their yarn-y podcast. I have recently developed a love for podcasts that seemed to have come out of nowhere and this is one I listen to so I figured I’d share the note.
- Crochetbug is On Kindle. As a blogger you can deliver your blog to Kindle readers. Did you know that Crochet Concupiscence is on Kindle, too?
- Lace Roundup. Diary of a Stay at Home did a great photo post of lace loving. It’s not crochet per se but beautiful!
And Some Special Thanks
- The Yarn Yogi for linking to my post of Japanese Crochet Blogs
- AnastaciaKnits for including my crochet hammocks roundup in her selection of crafty links
- The Society for Menstrual Cycle Research for including my hemp crochet post in their link roundup (because #10 on the list is reusable hemp tampons)
- Gabli Musing for mentioning my new book (Crochet Saved My Life) and my post on the women who hook to heal