Hey everyone … hope you had a wonderful Fourth of July and are now enjoying a nice summer weekend. If you’ve got some downtime to catch up on crochet news, you might want to check out these links that I thought were the best of the week.
This isn’t crochet per se but I wanted to give a congratulations shout out to @elsiecake and the A Beautiful Mess blog for making it into Seventeen Magazine. A Beautiful Mess is a gorgeous blog that does so many things right. It’s not strictly crochet but there are definitely snippets of crochet shown here and there in the blog’s style posts and crafty posts. I wanted to mention it because I always wanted to be published in Seventeen Magazine when I was a kid. In fact, I submitted a story there when I was a young teen. Of course, it wasn’t accepted (I can see why now; I was devastated at the time!) The desire to get published there kind of faded as I got older but the memory came rushing back when I saw that this blog I like was mentioned there. So a well-deserved congrats to the bloggers!
Best in Crochet
- Chain Link Recap. I enjoyed reading the 2012 Chain Link Conference recap from Gwen Blakley Kinsler. It almost makes you feel like you were there. Is anybody going to the event in Reno in September? A fun related post this week is Doris Chan’s “Personal Crochet Awards” where she shares the skinny on the events with awards for things like “Best Y.M.C.A. from a Chair” and “Best Chicken Dance”.
- Making the Reversible Rowan Tree Vest. Laurinda (@ReCrochetions) shares the process of making this beautiful vest that was a grand prize winner at CGOA’s Chain Link.
- Granny Squares Three Ways. My Rose Valley shared some thoughts on grannies including three common ways to make a basic granny square.
- Bath Mat Upcycling. Crochet with Tamara shows how she took a pebbly bath mat and crocheted around it to create a jar opener for the kitchener. Very cool.
- Slip Stitch Savvy. @GoCrochet reviews this new eBook from Rebeccca Velasquez that celebrates the slip stitch.
Beautiful Things People are Crocheting
Crochet Nesting Bowls from Creative Carmelina
Wood & Wool Stool makes the cutest granny square stools; I especially like this one because of the color blends
Reminds me of Amelia Earhart! This one was posted over on @knithacker this week
Favorite Video of the Week
- How to Crochet the Split Single Crochet Stitch. From @newstitchaday
- How to Crochet on the Side of a Single Crochet. From @CrochetSpot
- How to Make Perfect Stripes for Amigurumi. A post and tutorial from @planetjune. She shows different types of joining techniques and how they affect the way stripes appear for crochet worked in the round.
- How to Crochet a Purl Stitch. Tanis Galik of Interlocking Crochet explains that working a purl stitch into your foundation row can help preventing curling when you’re doing Tunisian crochet. If you are more of a video person, KnitDenise has a YouTube video for this stitch.
Best New Crochet Patterns
- Little Airplane Amigurumi. Es Un Mundo Amigurumi offers this free crochet pattern. It’s in Spanish but there’s a built-in translator in the sidebar of the blog.
- Romanian Point Lace Cord. Sunshine Creations says of this free thread crochet pattern: “It does not unravel from both ends but it does add nice texture to your lace pieces.”
- Faux Bow Hobo Bag. What a cute new crochet pattern available for sale from @Speckless.
- Pinterest Summer Challenge. This one is for those of you who use Pinterest to store ideas for crafty things you want to make in the future. The idea is to pick a project from your boards, complete it and then link it up on July 10th at @centsationalgrl.
- An Introduction to Blocking. @sarah_knight shows the basics of blocking lace work, which many people consider to be the final step in all crochet creating.
And some thanks this week