This week’s most notable stuff from the crochet blogosphere:
Have you seen the cool new project that Shannon Okey (@Knitgrrl) has launched called One Million Stitches? It’s a global collaborative fiber art project that you can join. Multiple projects will be started (wearables, blankets, etc.) and they’ll be passed from person to person on the list so each person can add a little bit of stitches to one of the items. Each project will have a notebook that travels with it so you can also add a little writing/art to that. When the items are all completely, they’ll be curated into a show and a book. Crocheters are welcome to join. Signups over on the Knitgrrl blog.
Smart Words on Crochet
- Speaking out about the Inside Crochet non-payment issue. @CrochetLibFront covered a really difficult, important topic in the crochet design world right now.
- Crochet Tips from the Stars. A stunning, smart roundup from the Vogue Knitting crochet issue. You must check it out!
- Dora Ohrenstein interviews Trisha Malcolm about Vogue Knitting Crochet. What can I say – this issue is all the buzz right now!
Beautiful Things People are Crocheting
According to Matt is rapidly becoming one of my favorite color geniuses. I previously highlighted this blog in my roundup of beautiful crochet clocks and now I’m loving this terrific granny square button cushion.
Maybe this week I’m really into crochet pillows because I was also drawn to this one by CosmicPluto which is a blue Wool-eater square on one side and a multi-colored cute granny on the other.
I also really loved seeing this beautiful single crochet bag and I encourage you to click over to Smoking Hot Needles to see the whole process because Monika spun the yarn herself before making the bag.
Favorite Video of the Week
Crochet Tips and Ideas
- Add a Crochet Edge to a Card. @sheepishknit did this one for Mother’s Day but it would work on cards for all occasions.
- How to Add Colors. Smart basics refresher from @crochettoday. Crochet Today has been offering some great tips and guides lately. I also really liked their simple instructions for adding a fabric lining to a crochet bag.
- Managing Two Yarn Colors. Simple and easy and smart tip for keeping two colors of yarn separate when working with them both at once. From @websyarnstore
Crochet Patterns and Tutorials
- Daisy Lace Toddler Sun Bonnet. Free crochet pattern from Crochet Kitten.
- Noelle Top Crochet Pattern. A new pattern for sale from @ElevenHandmade. I love the blue/green color choice, the fringed V-neck and the way the lines of color alternate, opposite on the right as the left.
- Practice Crochet Stitches to Make a Garland and More. Elisabeth Andree shares a tutorial for garland making that starts with a crochet triangle tutorial and then shows how to adapt that into different shapes. Very thorough tutorial.
- Favorite Finds: Barefoot Sandals. I love this photo roundup of barefoot sandals by @gleefulthings. Beautiful collection!
- The 43 Things Bloggers Do. This isn’t crochet-related but it might be of interest to those of you with crochet blogs who want to make sure that you’re doing what you need to as a blogger. Simple an straightforward, this is just a list of things to consider as your role as a blogger, not a blogging “how to” per se. @lifehackorg
- Tophatter review. This new auction site for crafters is gaining a lot of traction. I haven’t used it myself but was curious by this review from @jennyhats who talks about buying yarn from the site.
- What’s the nicest thing your significant other has said about your crochet? @CraftGossip poses the question and answers it herself.
And Some Special Thanks
- To @CheCrochet, La Ventana Azul and Crochet en Accion for sharing with their readers the blog post that I did featuring 8 Spanish Language Crochet Blogs.
- Rachee for sharing images of the big giveaway she got from this blog
- YarnoverChicago for adding me to her blog’s recommended list of websites