A portion of my Pinterest boards
Let’s talk about Pinterest!! I’ve heard some good things, some bad things and some areas of concern … I want to know what you think …
Today’s Topic: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly of Pinterest
First, are you on Pinterest? How often do you use it? What do you use it for? Feel free to share your Pin name in your comment if you want people to follow you. Now, on to the meat of the discussion …
Here are some of the good things I’ve heard about Pinterest. Do you agree?
- It’s super inspiring and makes people feel creative.
- It’s a great place to organize ideas for events, travel and craft plans.
- Pinterest is a good place to store things you want to look at more later.
- It can be a good tool for promoting your craft business or blog.
- It’s a huge time suck.
- It encourages copycat crafts instead of true creativity. Is this true?
- Pinterest isn’t effective as a true social network. Related to this: an image-only site doesn’t offer everything someone is looking for.
- It can be tough to find the original source of posted images because you have to go back through so many re-pins.
- It’s too girly. (Yes, I’ve heard that frequently).
- Pinterest profits from affiliate links. Many people have a problem with this. Do you?
- People are pinning copyrighted material. @planetjune pointed out on Twitter that this includes full crochet patterns that people have no right to be posting. And @aberrantcrochet has a really thorough article on this with a balanced perspective as a designer.
- What will it mean for Pinterest that there are now spinoff sites like Clipix?
Remember that these weekly open discussions are to generate conversation in the crochet community because your voice matters here. Feel free to say what you want to say on this topic. That said, please be respectful, especially when responding to others thoughts and comments on the blog. I’ll add my two cents in the comments as the day goes on.