My Year of Projects list has one more checkmark this week since I finished off the crochet bag that I’d started last week.
Last Week It Looked Like This
Now It Looks Like This:
The Original Pattern Was …
It’s the Crocheted Swirling Bag by Kathy Merrick, which I found via Knitting Daily as a free crochet pattern. I liked the visual attractiveness of such a unique bag.
These are the variations I made to the pattern:
- Switched from hook size E to hook size G, making a larger crochet bag than the one in the pattern.
- Used two colors in an alternating pattern (blue, white, blue, white) instead of using four different colors.
- The pattern called for six rows each of the four colors for the top rows. I chose to do four rows of white, then four of blue twice and then two rows of each of the colors.
- Instead of making the drawstring as a chain with separate colors, I held the two colors strands together to work the chain in blue and white throughout.
- Seamed the base pieces together using single crochet instead of a woven stitch.