Pieter Louis Erasmus is a jewelry designer who works with crochet artisans in New Delhi who work with a special kind of thread called zari. From what Wikipedia tells me, zari is a type of thread that is made by wrapping a pure metal thread (like gold) around a fiber (like silk or polyester). It is prominent in Indian clothing where it is used as embroidery or weaving to make interesting designs on the fabric. However, Erasmus uses it crocheted over jewels and shapes to create really unique jewelry for St. Erasmus. He’s gotten a lot of attention for this jewelry in the past few years after one of his pieces was worn by Michelle Obama.
I first learned about this jewelry from an online interview. My favorite thing in this interview is that Erasmus explains that these elaborate costume jewelry pieces should be worn with a T-shirt and jeans because it allows it to be an over-the-top centerpiece that doesn’t really take itself too seriously. How fun. He also says he’d love to design for Lady Gaga.
Here are some of the crocheted zari pieces I like from his current collection:
Cocktail ring embraced by crochet zari thread
Opal Pearl Drop Earrings covered in crochet zari thread
Acrylic flower necklace ensconced in Zari crochet
- New Crochet on the Runway from John Rocha (Autumn/Winter 2014 Fashion Week)
- New Crochet on the Runway from Rodarte (Autumn/Winter 2014 Fashion Week)
- New Crochet on the Runway from Sister by Sibling (Autumn/Winter 2014 Fashion Week)
- 2013 in Crochet: Crochet Fashion and Crochet Jewelry
- 10 Beautiful Celebrities Wearing Crochet