This is the next installment in Hooked Together, a project where I explore the links on the blogrolls of the crochet blogs I follow. So far I’ve explored the blogrolls of A Stash Addict’s Ramblings, A Surprise Every Time and Abby’s Yarns.
This week I’ll be exploring the blogrolls of three different blogs.
Blogroll Exploration #1: Aberrant Crochet
First I’m looking at the blogroll for Aberrant Crochet by Julia Chambers. She is @AberrantCrochet on Twitter, BikerMom on Ravelry and has an Etsy store named PixieWorx. On the blog she shares her crochet work as well a lot of helpful tips and thoughts about crochet.
Julia’s crochet blogroll is short and it’s filled with blogs I mostly already know, which is why I can explore more than one blogroll this week. And guess what, I saw when I got to her blog that she links to me. Awesome. Thanks Julia! Here’s what else she links to:
- Crochet Liberation Front. This is one of my favorite Tier One Blogs, the blog associated with the Flamie Awards among lots of other crochet goodness.
- Doris Chan: Everyday Crochet. Crochet designer Doris Chan shares her work and experience in the crochet world. One of my Tier One blogs.
Multi-craftual Blogs that Include Crochet
- Two Hands Healing and Creative Arts. Another of my Tier One Blogs. Mama2Hands writes lovely posts about creativity and crochet.
- Fiber Deviant. Another Tier One blog. This crochet-rich blog features lots of different yarn-y crafts and fun.
- Rambling Designs. This looks to be mostly a knitting blog these days but there are lots of crochet projects in the archives.
- Aaaandreaaaa’s Creative Memories. Blog about family, creativity, fabric yo-yos and crochet.
- Keri’s Fairy Godmother Foundation. Site, not blog, for a cool TX organization that helps women in need with formalwear.
What did I find? Nothing here was out of date. No links were ones I’d already found from exploring other blogrolls in this project. I liked all of the choices and I added one new one to my set of Tier 2 blogs.
Blogroll Exploration #2: Abinocoe
Next I’ll take a look at the blogroll on Abigail Coe’s blog, Abinocoe. Abi (@abinocoe on Twitter) creates really great highly-textural, almost sculptural pieces of wearable crochet art, which she sells in her Etsy store and shares on her blog. I love her creative crochet and have previously interviewed her here on my blog. And when I popped over to check out her blogroll I saw that she’s got me there – thanks Abi! Between her blogroll and her blogspot “blogs I follow” she also has:
- Wunderkammer. Really creative, smart crochet. Doesn’t update often but makes up for it by sharing free crochet patterns. I didn’t know about this blog before and was excited to find out that the blogger is based here in San Francisco!
Multicraftual Blogs Featuring Crochet
- Elin@. Creative blog featuring lots of different ideas and work including a little bit of crochet.
- Common Sense. Blog of W Stephen Gilbert and his career in varied aspects of entertainment and media.
- Martin Joiner’s Blog. Love the subtitle of this blog: Confessions of a Binge Thinker!! Joiner is a web designer who likes poetry, art and film.
- Painting from Life. Figure painting blog.
- The Diary of Samuel Pepys. 17th century diary archives.
Blogs Already Listed Elsewhere in Hooked Together
- Tami’s Amis. One of my Tier One blogs, which is also on the blogroll of A Surprise Every Time.
- The Itsy Bitsy Spider. Crochet/ amigurumi blog that I also found through the blogroll of A Surprise Every Time.
What did I find? I was thrilled to find a new San Francisco based blog and added the as well as Elin@ to my Tier 2 blogs list. I love that Abi reads such smart blogs. Doesn’t surprise me at all! And there were no out-of-date blogs on her lists.
Blogroll Exploration #3: About.com Crochet
And finally I’ll explore the blogroll of About.com Crochet, which is written by Amy Solovay (@AboutCrochet on Twitter). The blog links to lots of crochet patterns and sometimes has tips and tutorials. The blog doesn’t have a traditional sidebar blogroll but there’s a page of blog links nicely divided into various categories including amigurumi, crochet designer’s blogs, general crochet blogs and more. And my blog is there under general crochet. Thanks Amy!
- Ana Paula’s Amigurumi Patterns and Crochet Cuteness. A blog showing off the author’s cute creatures.
- Woo Work. One of my Tier One blogs. Howie shows off his amigurumi work.
- Karabouts. Amigurumi blog.
- TADA’s Revolution. Photo-focused amigurumi blog.
- SIBOL blog. Blog affiliated with the squares for charity project.
- Attic24. Lots of colorful crochet posts with a personable tone.
- Life By Hook. One of my Tier One blogs by Cat who also writes Learning and Loving Crochet.
- Crochet Galore. Crochet patterns, WIPW shares and more. One my of my Tier One blogs.
- Crocheting with Dee. Another Tier One blog that shares some great tips and info about crochet.
- Pooh’s Little Acre. Debbie shares her crochet work including some patterns.
- Enthusiastic Crochetoholic. UK woman shares her adventures in crochet.
- Every Day Crochet. One that I follow – lots of crochet patterns and project shares.
- The Garden Bell. Filled with large colorful photos of crochet work.
- Hooks and Yarns. Debi Y.’s lovely crochet blog that I always enjoy checking out.
- Crochet Kween’s Royal Ramblings. The fun blog of freeform crochet artist and crochet queen Gwen Blakley Kinsler.
- One Yarn After Another. I already follow this blog in which Bev shares her crochet work, thoughts and patterns.
- Stitch Story. Another Tier One blog I enjoy in which Shelby Allaho shares her crochet design work.
- Designing Vashti. Great blog by crochet designer @vashtirama.
- Crochet by Faye. Another one I follow – the great blog from designer Robyn Chachula.
- Crochet Renee. Updates about crochet designs.
- The Crochet Dude. Drew Emborsky’s crochet blog.
- Go Crochet. Designer Ellen Gormley’s lovely crochet blog.
- My Hooks and Needles. Designer Margaret Hubert’s crochet blog.
- WIPs n Chains. Designer Kim Guzman’s blog. (What a great blog name!)
- Jaybird Designs. Designer Jennifer Cirka’s crochet blog.
- Not Your Granny’s Crochet. Blog of Marty Miller, president of CGOA.
- Annette Petavy Design. A French-English crochet design blog.
- Crochet Sharon. Like many of these blogs, I also follow this one. It’s the blog of crochet designer Sharon Silverman.
- Kristen Tendyke. Occasional updates about the work of crochet designer Kristen Tendyke.
- Crochet Today! Blogs. Affiliated with the magazine, of course.
- Interweave’s Crochet Me Blogs. I enjoy these a lot!
- CGOA Blog. Blog of the Crochet Guild of America.
- KS My Stitch. Blog of the Kansas chapter of the CGOA.
- Jimbo’s Front Porch. Blog of someone who creates handmade crochet hooks. Awesome.
- Wool Mountain Studio. A lovely celebration of freeform crochet.
- Tapestry Crochet. Carol Ventura shares amazing tapestry crochet work.
Multi-craftual Blogs That Include Crochet
- Charts for Charity. Free patterns for various crafts intended for people who want to create items for charity.
- The Fiber Forum. Posts about all sorts of fiber-y goodness.
- Monster Crochet. A lovely Tier One blog that is mostly crochet but shares some plant stuff, some sewing stuff and more.
- Peasant House. A blog about rural life, includes some posts about crochet.
- DanDoh Knit and Crochet. Japanese knitwear/crochet designer’s blog.
- Edie Eckman. Crochet and knitwear designer’s blog.
- SM Crafts. Site, not blog, offering free craft patterns.
- AG Mode. Knitting and crochet design.
- Styled by Kristin. Blog of knit and crochet designer Kristin Omdahl.
- The Designer’s Studio. Interviews with knit and crochet designers.
- Laurel Hill Knitting Needles and Crochet Hooks. Latest knit and crochet “in the news”, some patterns and crochet hook reviews.
- Mandy Greer. Fiber and freeform crochet artist.
- The Caron Notebook. Caron Yarn’s blog.
- Cascade Yarns. The yarn blog links to patterns and announcements in knitting and crochet.
- Lion Brand Yarn Blog. Knitting, crochet and yarn-y posts.
- Lorna’s Laces. Another yarn blog featuring both knit and crochet.
- Malabrigo Yarn Blog. Yum! Patterns, interviews, yarn inspiration…
- Universal Yarn Blog. Another yarn store blog.
- Jimmy Beans Wool Blog. And another.
- WEBS Blog. And yes, another.
- Janice Rosema. Knitting and crochet fiber artist.
- Weird and Twisted. Art yarn / amigurumi blog; mostly knit, some crochet and other crafts.
- Yarn and Fiber Happenings. All types of yarn-y yumminess.
- DyakCraft Blog. Yarn-y, fibery posts and knitting needle posts.
- Berroco Design Studio Blog. Lots of lovely yarn-y posts but very little crochet.
- Diamond Yarn Blog. Knit-focused yarn blog.
- Halcyon Yarn Blog. Announcements relevant to this yarn store.
- Kitty Grrrlz. Knitting and spinning blog.
Out of Date Blogs
- Green Pixey. This blog just closed down in June.
- ErinLindsey’s Pile of Yarn. Inactive since 2010.
- Barbara Crochet Studio. Inactive since 2010.
- Hooray for Crochet. Inactive since 2009.
- Streisaat Crafts. Inactive since April.
- Everyday Crochet. Doris Chan’s original blog. Link to the current blog above (in Aberrant Crochet’s list)
- Femme Fibers. Only one 2011 post and that was in March.
- Yarn Artist. Fiber knitting blog inactive since January.
- Thread Artists on Etsy. No current link.
- Clover Blog. Clover Hooks blog last updated in January.
- Jenny Dowde’s Blog. Inactive since 2009.
- A Scrumble A Week. Inactive since January.
- Myra Wood: Ina Freeform Style. Inactive since January.
- Painted Tapestry Crochet. Inactive since 2010.
Blogs Already Linked To in a Previous Hooked Together Post
- Modeknit. On Abby’s Yarns blogroll.
- Crochet Liberation Front. (See Aberrant Crochet’s list above.)
- Hello Yarn. On Abby’s Yarns blogroll.
What did I find? A large percentage of these were my Tier One blogs that I already follow. This makes sense since there are a lot of crochet-only and crochet-heavy blogs on the list. I did find some new ones to follow, though, adding about one dozen new feeds to my feed reader. In particular, the amigurumi ones and some of the yarn blogs were new to me.