Who is KRW?
The woman behind this blog is Karen Ratto-Whooley. She has been a crochet designer since 1998. She recently published her newest book, I Can’t Believe I’m Crocheting Socks. In March this book went on its blog tour, hitting up one dozen other crochet blogs to spread the word about the fact that there are tons of great ways to crochet socks despite the fact that many people assume all handmade socks are knit. In addition to being a crochet designer and crochet blogger, Karen is currently on the board of directors of the CGOA. Plus, she also offers crochet classes/ workshops. In fact, she will be teaching at the end of the month in Minneapolis at the Knit and Crochet Show (July 27-31).
Basics of the Blog
The KRW Knitwear blog is where Karen updates us about what she’s doing in the crochet world, the thoughts she’s having about crochet and often what other people are up to in the crochet community. She posts about once per week (varies). The blog recently went mobile so there’s an Android app to follow the blog and get notified about posts. Personally I subscribe in a feed reader (Google Reader) which is how I follow all my favorite crochet blogs.
Top 7 Reasons I Love This Crochet Blog
- Personal stories help us all learn more about crochet. Karen shares what she’s doing and that gives us all insight into what it’s like to be a crochet designer. I love it!
- Reminders to support great causes. Karen participates in great projects all of the time. She was part of the Pam’s Comfort Cables Afghan project and she recently offered a discount on her patterns with proceeds of purchases going to support breast cancer research. I love when crochet helps good causes!
- Discounts and giveaways! Discounts like the one just mentioned are just part of the free stuff you get as a blog reader. I’ve also seen other deals and giveaways announced and offered here. Who doesn’t love that?
- Event reminders. By writing about the events happening in the crochet community (even just mentioning things like National Crochet Month), Karen reminds us about them. I love it!
- Photos in posts. They’re usually in there and I always love seeing photos in blog posts.
- Showcases her great work. I love the KRW Knitwear designs and the photos and posts on the blog showcase those. There’s no better place to learn about a designer’s designs than their own great blog. Love it.
- General post design / blog design. It’s easy on the eyes. The font is unique but readable. There’s a lot of information in the sidebars but it isn’t so busy that it takes away from the rest of the blog. Just the little details make this blog really enjoyable to read.
A Little Bit More
In addition to following the blog, you can keep up with the happenings of Karen Ratto-Whooley on Twitter (@KRWKnitwear) and Facebook (KRW Knitwear Studio). You can also join her Ravelry group.
Don’t forget to visit the KRW Knitwear Blog tomorrow to see her review of the next blog in the Hookin’ Up project. Note that there’s no specific format required for the bloggers doing these reviews. The posts may be long or short, detailed or brief, picture-rich or words-only. The fun part is seeing what everyone does and learning more about the other crochet blogs out there. Enjoy!