Tuesdays is crochet book review day here on Crochet Concupiscence. Today it’s also a giveaway day! I’ll be reviewing the book Creative Crochet Jewelry. Read through the review of the first book here and then head down to the bottom section of this post to find out how you can enter to win the other books.
Creative Crochet Jewelry by Esther Zadock
Creative Crochet Jewelry is a crochet jewelry pattern book that teaches you how to crochet bracelets, necklaces, earrings and rings using a variety of different materials.
Who this crochet book is for
This crochet book is for people who are interested in combining a love of jewelry making with a love of crochet. It is very simple to follow the instructions in the book and there are some highly fashionable modern pieces as well as some vintage-inspired pieces so it’s a good book for jewelry makers of any level and style. The items in the book are made with varying combinations of wire, thread and beads.
Crochet book format
The book begins with a lovely basic introduction (which I’ve quoted here). This is followed by a crochet abbreviation chart, info on what the four different skill levels mean (for example, “easy” projects are those that use basic stitches but require at least some experience compared to “beginner” projects). This is followed by a detailed section on the materials that may be used throughout the patterns in the book.
A section on stitches provides the basics that you’d expect from any crochet book (such as how to crochet a chain stitch) along with instructions specific to jewelry making (such as how to crochet a beaded chain stitch). The instructions are clear and come with photographs.
Next is a section on “basic techniques”, which covers many of the specific things that you may not know yet as a crocheter who hasn’t worked with jewelry before. For example, it shows you how to attach a crocheted piece to a clasp. Again there are clear instructions combined with photographs to make learning easy. This is followed by a slightly more advanced section called “special techniques” and then a very helpful page of “tips.
Now the patterns begin. They are divided into four chapters: bracelets and bangles, necklaces, earrings and rings with 4-11 patterns in each section. Each pattern comes with the following features:
- Title that clearly describes the product
- At least one full page photo of the finished product
- One-paragraph description of the product
- Experience level required
- Finished measurements
- Required materials and tools
- Row-by-row or round-by-round instructions laid out in a way familiar to crocheters
- Information on how to finish the item
The book ends with a very brief and simple index and a half page of acknowledgments.
Favorite patterns from this crochet book
Jewelry Books for Giveaway
Like I said before I don’t actually have a copy of the Creative Crochet Jewelry book for giveaway. I just wanted to review it here because it’s the jewelry book I have that focuses solely on crochet. However, I do have two other crochet jewelry books by Sixth&Spring to give away. As with the book I’ve reviewed these two books are filled with clear instructions, lots of photos and patterns that range in terms of experience level and detail.
Creative Beaded Jewelry by Sigal Buzaglo. Although this jewelry book doesn’t teach you how to crochet jewelry, it does have some terrific patterns and ideas for making lots of different types of beaded jewelry. If you want to know how to make necklaces, bracelets and earrings from beads then this book can help!
Creative Wire Jewelry by Ariella Nachson. This book teaches you how to make necklaces, bracelets, earrings, rings and more using both soft and hard wire jewelry. It offers many different patterns and techniques. This wire jewelry book does have one design for crocheters. It’s a “crafty crocheted cuff” bracelet that is absolutely beautiful!
One lucky winner will receive both of these books. Here’s how to enter:
Leave a comment on this post telling me which of the two books interests you more and why. Don’t worry; if you win you still get both of them! This is a mandatory entry after which you can get extra entries in the following ways
Get one entry for doing any of the following things and leaving a separate comment on this blog.
- Follow me on Twitter @Crochetblogger. Leave me a comment here on the blog letting me know your Twitter handle. (If you already follow me, that counts, too, as long as you mention it in a comment here on the blog.)
- RT this giveaway. Leave a comment with your Twitter handle and a note that it was RTd so I know that you did. Include a link to the giveaway in your tweet as well as @mention to @crochetblogger.
- Check out the other crochet book reviews I’ve done. Leave a comment on any of those reviews. One bonus entry for each additional comment. No need to comment again here about this one – I’ll count all comments on crochet book review posts that are posted between now and the end of the giveaway.
Get five entries for doing each of the following things:
- Blog about this giveaway. Leave a link to the blog post in the comments.
- Blog about my Hookin’ Up crochet bloggers project and leave a link to your blog post in the comments here.
The winner will receive both of the books. Make sure you leave an email address or method of contact in case you win. Entries will be accepted until midnight PST on Friday July 1st and the winner will be announced here on the blog on Sunday July 3.