The LA Times did an interview earlier this month with Blake Mycoski of Toms Shoes. The interview made me think that this guy seems like someone you would want to get to know. What caught my attention most, though, was the fact that his newest shoes (out in stores this June) are crochet-inspired.
The collection prior to this one was “inspired by the journals and images left by activist Dan Eldon, the young photographer who was killed in 1993 covering the war in Somalia”. The fall collection is designed to encourage teachers and other great mentors. And Mycoski recently participated in One Day Without Shoes, a project to raise awareness about the people in the world who can’t afford shoes. So there’s nothing shallow about this line of footwear and that makes it something that I want to support.
Now I will be the first to admit that the Toms crochet shoes aren’t my personal style. I’m more interested in the Gaultier crochet shoes than these. But I also don’t wear flip flops and the consumer these are marketed for are the flip flops wearing kind. Nothing wrong with that, just not my thing. Still I do love the crochet inspiration and think that it’s a great springtime item so I wanted to be sure to share it here.
Would you wear these crochet inspired shoes?
- New Crochet on the Runway from John Rocha (Autumn/Winter 2014 Fashion Week)
- New Crochet on the Runway from Rodarte (Autumn/Winter 2014 Fashion Week)
- New Crochet on the Runway from Sister by Sibling (Autumn/Winter 2014 Fashion Week)
- 2013 in Crochet: Crochet Fashion and Crochet Jewelry
- 10 Beautiful Celebrities Wearing Crochet