Today is International Women’s Day. This annual celebration started more than 100 years ago to celebrate and empower the women in society. In my opinion crochet can be a great way to celebrate.
Crochet makes sense for International Women’s Day because:
- Crochet is something that is traditionally and typically done by women.
- Crochet has been done by women generation after generation. Doing it now celebrates the women who did it before you.
- International Women’s Day celebrates women in all areas of life from business to art. Crochet plays a role in many of these areas. Consider the woman who opens her own Etsy store, writes a crochet book, starts an LYS, crochets for non-profits or becomes a crochet teacher.
Ideas for using crochet to celebrate International Women’s Day:
- Go out yarnbombing. This is a socio-political creative act so it’s a great way to celebrate International Women’s Day.
- Crochet an heirloom piece. Start work on a doily or afghan inspired by the women who crocheted years ago and intended to be passed down to the generations to come.
- Simply take a bit of the day to sit and enjoy crochet. Celebrate yourself, great woman that you are!
How are you going to celebrate International Women’s Day?